DIY Stand Building Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sup guys. At work atm, so am going to do some more research when i get home, but was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction of a way to make a stand for a 75g. I have never done any woodwork before, but im sure it couldnt be too hard. Looking for an easy guide or something online that will spell it all out for me. Thanks!

There are several guides online that you can search for but I didn't like them myself when building my own stand. I recommend you searching for and looking how other people have built their own. I finished one just 2 days ago myself.

I don't have any links for you, sorry. But I did build by own 75g stand. I accomplished it in two days, but I have some wood work experience and had my father-in-law's help and his table saw. The cost ended up being over $160 in all materials. I used a 2"x4" frame and oak paneling with trim, and pre-made oak raised panel doors. It looks great, is rock solid, square, level, and its on coasters. It isn't too difficult to build, but if your looking to save money, and without experience or help, you may just want to buy one in the store. I ended up needing two doors, four hinges, two handles, stain, four coster, bolts, washer, wood screws, wire nails, 7 2"x4", 1 4'x8' 1/4" oak plywood, 2 8' oak top trim, 2 8' oak bottom trim, 1 1"1/8" x 1"1/8" corner trim, no glue. I will try to get some pictures up next week if you need some ideas. Roughly, I built two square frames supported by 7 legs on the inside, 4 weight bearing, 2 for door frame and 1 for stability, used 2"x4" to bring the legs flush to the square frames. Then finished it with the plywood and trim.

This would be the best link:
AQUARIUM STAND CONSTRUCTION

I use that as a guide to the structural design. I modified it for my stand for looks.

The basic principle for a sturdy stand is that you should have a rigid beam system to support the tank all around the perimeter. That means 2x6's on edge all around. Next you need to distribute the weight of the tank from the beam down to the floor evenly. That usually means 6 legs. <Although most plans calls for 2x4's in an L-shape, 4x4's are more rigid.>

Depending on your wood-working experience & tools as to how easy this will be. A good stand should be made to tolerances of 1/16" or better, and you normally have to dress the lumber from the store to achieve this. With a big tank, I wouldn't risk an uneven top support, out of plumb, legs, etc. with just screwing a bunch of 2x4's together.

FYI - I built mine out of hardwood. Beams are laminated double 2x4's, legs are 2 2x4's laminated to 2 1x5 (4 layered construction ... yes, I believe in overkill!), bottom apron are laminated double 1x4's. All are half-lap/bridle joints glued & screwed. Panel are raised solid wood frame & stiles. I also have a jointer/planer to do the lamination, a table saw, router, power sander ...... This is overkill for sure, and you can get by with much simpler construction, but a stand for a big tank may not be a good first project!

Hi,

all depends on how good u want the stand to turn out to look.

i just bough a lot 2 by 4 by 8ft of lumber to build a double 55 gallon.

This is the stand that I built for my 75 gallon aquarium.

jpg.gif
IMG_0131.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 798
WOW! Big Dog and neilanh, those stands are very impressive! they look gorgeous, i definitely think a nice stand improves the overall look of the aquarium. would love to see them up and running, they're probably stunning. nice work! thanks for this thread CEverii, i think i will look into building a 10 gallon stand just for fun. thanks for the links, all! :D

I used good grade of 2x4 and 3/4" plywood for the top and 1/2" plywood for the bottom. I used Strong Tie braces that came in a box with 4 coner braces and screws. It cost me around 45$ for the kit. It is well worth the price. I used the stone spray paint for the out side look. Than used a sealer to make it hard. It is not going anywhere thats for sure. I'm going to be making doors and shelfs for it very soon. I will post a picture of the whole set up soon. Having problems with the camera. Not working right. Thanks so much for liking it.

:band::band::smilecolros:

Back
Top Bottom