floating debris removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I vacuum my gravel i sometimes kick up debris that floats throughout the tank. Also there's a couple hard to reach places I can't vacuum without moving everything or uprooting plants. Sometimes when pleco gets moody because the rabbit snails or nerites are too close to him he starts kicking up debris that floats around for a bit before it gets sucked into the canister filter or settles back to the bottom.

My solution:
Install an additional HOB filter to run during vacuuming or when pleco gets ticked off. But fill the HOB with some filter floss to catch the debris so it doesn't return to the tank.
Big Al's Filter Floss - 20 sq ft

Has anyone done this?

Any suggestions before I start would help.

I don't think I've seen any threads on this. There are gravel vacs with filters and skimmers for canisters are other ides that come to mind.

I read up on some of the gravel vacs and too many reviews said that debris was flowing right through and clouding up the tank.
I picked up a skimmer that goes inline with the canister but it was too bulky for my 40 gallon.

I'm going to continue to vacuum with the python water changer, i just want something that will pick up the debris i kick up.
Also the bristlenose pleco goes absolutely crazy when the snails get too close to him and he hangs out in an area that I can't vacuum without tearing my plants up. He starts tail whipping them and kicks up any debris on the bottom. I figured might as well get it out of the tank.

I purchased a HOB filter and waiting for a roll of filter floss I ordered from Big Al's

Back
Top Bottom