GE Silicone I - DIY cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Areos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So a friend of mine has that silicone ( a blue bottle GE silicone I - 100% rubber sealant), and he's willing to give me for my diy cave project (pvc):D. Now the problem is, it says: for window & door - "best seal against water & the elements" :-?.

Is it gonna be safe for my tank? can i still use it? any reply is appreciated!
have a great day, thanks!

GE Silicon I is safe, GE Silicon II will poison the tank. The type II contains an anti-mildew agent that can leech into the water. Regardless of type, let it stand for at least 48 hours before getting it wet so it has time to cure.

thx for the quick response!
one more question though :D , is it ABS pipe safe or should i stick to pvc? the black pipe would be nice since i have black gravel...

gracias amigos!

great, really appreciate the help.
thx guys

I'm doing the same thing and I only have II at home. Guess I'll have to get Silicone 1.

..or what do you guys think is the best to use? (since I have to go out and buy new anyways).

GE Silicon 1 is cheap, the newer labels should also mention that it's aquarium safe. In general it's going to be a lot cheaper to get silicon from a hardware store than ordering "Aquarium Silicon" from a pet store or web site. Mainly because they jack up the price for stamping Aquarium on the label.

I just searched the forum , iam in trouble now i think , i have glued the tank with GE II , it has amonia in it . what should i do now, feel so stupid should have search the fourm earlier please help

Remove as much as you can with razorblades (stock up on them as they get dull quick) and wipe down the tank with isopropyl alchohol (I think this is the correct stuff). Let dry, and start resealing with the correct stuff. Welcome to AA!

Areos- I agree that GE 1 is safe, but I think you'll run into issues with it sticking to PVC (or ABS). Superglue gel is probably a better fit for your application.

Thank U , i have removed the glue clean it so far with vinegar , not sure where can i get the isopropyl alchohol in Toronto. Think to go to aquarium place and get the silicon from there if not then will get the G1

Thank U , i have removed the glue clean it so far with vinegar , not sure where can i get the isopropyl alchohol in Toronto. Think to go to aquarium place and get the silicon from there if not then will get the G1

Should be able to get it at a chemist/pharmacy (not sure if you use the Brit or US term up there)... it is just rubbing alcohol.

Okay Guy big thanks to you all, i have re-glued with GE1its been over 24 hours glue look pretty hard rubbery and dry. just another question just wash the aquarium with ordinary sponge / or can use dish liquid / or whats the best method to wash the aquarium before filling up for fish

i use sponge with bleach / vinegar i would never use soap in a aquarium. make sure to wash it very well once you are done.

after Sponge Bleach / Vinegar how long should i keep it for drying

Filled the aquarium with water and its two days every things looks okay , today will add Some Gupppy and Tetra (Neon) , Thank you all

You may want to hold off and let the tank cycle before getting fish... there is no way that it is cycled and ready for fish after only 2 days..

Alright will do that , usually whats the tank cycle time period

it varies depending on whats in the tank, filtration, etc... basically its the period in which the tank builds up benificial bacteria to fight off ammonia, etc... at least a week, usually closer to 2 in my experience...

Back
Top Bottom