Glass Nano Tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

About to start building my own glass nano tank! I am doing this because No one really makes a tank that fits both my wants and needs therefore I am going to build one that does!

I have been doing a bunch of research and feel ready to move to the next stage which is planning my tank, I am going to the glass store tomorrow to see what I can find and see what my options are. If the glass option pans out i always have acrylic which I can get from lowes or another such store but after everything I read I am really leaning towards glass.

SO my real question is does any one have any helpful tips or advice? I am going to use this thread as a build thread for the tank itself as well so bare with me!!

Thanks everyone!

You don't want the acrylic from Lowe's or Home Depot. For making tanks you need cell cast acrylic, which is quite a bit more expensive.

Also, for glass, you want tempered.

Really? Everything I read says to stay far away from Tempered, because it shatters when you cut it and getting glass cut then treated is break the bank expensive. Its quite a small tank, 18 inches wide by 12 inches deep by 10 or 11 inches high so the high strength of tempered wouldn't be needed.

you're correct, tempered glass is usually avoided due to not being able to cut/drill and the high cost. Just make sure you use either all acrylic or all glass since mixing them will complicate the process

I think you missed something in the "Tips and Warning" section:

#2 "Never try to drill tempered glass."

I apologize. It was a few years ago when I saw the thread, and I was sure it was tempered. Most threads I looked through said not to drill tempered glass, but a few did actually succeed.

krap101 said:
I apologize. It was a few years ago when I saw the thread, and I was sure it was tempered. Most threads I looked through said not to drill tempered glass, but a few did actually succeed.

No biggy, I was interested in the link because I thought they had some new technology to allow drilling it. I used to work with tempered glass years ago and there wasn't anything you could do to it once it's cooked.

Back
Top Bottom