How big of a sump do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbc1989

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How big of a sump do I need for a 55g planted tank (48L 13W 28H) I was thinking about having it as a sump/ refugium. I'm planing on using duckweed in the refugium. I read in Tropical Fish Magazine that duckweed can remove nitrogen, phosphors, potassium. magnesium, calcium, sodium, chlorine, boron, iron, sucrose, fructose, glucose, urea, and most amino acids... So here is the next question what other media do I need. do I use bio balls or sponge or any thing... Question # 3 what size pump do I need. The top of tank will probably be about 6ft off of the ground.... This is my frist time making a sump any information will help...

:thanks:

You could technically do a 10g sump for a 55, although I'd recommend going with a 20l... If you're doing a sump you'll need to chamber the tank, and make sure you run a protein skimmer in it:) is the 55 drilled or no?

How big of a sump do I need for a 55g planted tank (48L 13W 28H) I was thinking about having it as a sump/ refugium. I'm planing on using duckweed in the refugium. I read in Tropical Fish Magazine that duckweed can remove nitrogen, phosphors, potassium. magnesium, calcium, sodium, chlorine, boron, iron, sucrose, fructose, glucose, urea, and most amino acids... So here is the next question what other media do I need. do I use bio balls or sponge or any thing... Question # 3 what size pump do I need. The top of tank will probably be about 6ft off of the ground.... This is my frist time making a sump any information will help...

:thanks:
you dont really need one for fw,but if you get one id do a 20

huma-huma Thanks for leting me know what size I need for the sump and no the 55 is not drilled I'm thinking of trying a DIY Overflow out of clear pvc down to the sump i've been reading alot about them im going to put a ball valve on it to contor the flow and a Solenoid Valve to stop the water from flowing if the power gos out I fond some on ebay for gravity feed water for $20.90 Im hopeing that will work...

alLexX Thanks for the relpy I know that i realy dont need one for fw but for me its cheeper then buying a canister filter i have 80% of the stuff i need for a sump all I need is a pump and the media

How big of a pump do i need the top of tank will probably be about 6ft off of the ground :confused:

Alotta pond pumps will tell you on the side of the box how many gph it'll pump from 0 ft up to 6ft. It's suprising to see how weak pumps are over 3ft

320 gph enough or to much it says it pumps to 6ft.

Back
Top Bottom