How do you make sure your DIY filter is appropriate for your tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biancaboop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in the process of creating a sponge filter for a new 10 gallon tank. My plan is to glue a drilled out 1/2" PVC pipe to the bottom of a jam jar filled with broken up lava rock, a layer of polyester batting, and a sponge between the jar and the 90 degree elbow output nozzle. I made a spray bar to attach to the output as well, which I'll use depending on what tank inhabitants I end up getting. Airline with a bubble stone at the end will be fed through the pipe to the bottom of the jar. I ordered an air pump rated for 10g, but I'm thinking of getting something rated for up to 20g instead, just to be on the safe side.

My question is this: how do I know if my filter is effective enough for the size of my tank? I assume the power of the air pump is a major factor, but I'm guessing the size of the sponge (it's 2" x 4" x 4" that I plan on cutting in half and layering) is important as well. Anything else I should keep in mind? Is there a preferred method of testing the flow rate? If I diffuse the output, will this affect the filter's effectiveness? I'd prefer to have more filtration than I need, rather than just enough.

Back
Top Bottom