Making Lemonade From Lemons! (repair/redo a 125)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgorum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum so forgive me if I didnt go about it correctly or make some sort of mistake! I recently received a 125 gallon aquarium for free! The tank and stand and some general equipment were given to me by a friend who no longer had the time to take care of the tank

Now I am not new to fish keeping, or DIY, I've built several stands, and tanks (small ones) and even rebuilt a 55 and a 45 (took apart and completely resealed).

My problem is that this, is a 125 gallon tank with the back panel cracked :ermm: . I really would like to fix this thing up but my local glass store quoted me over $400 dollars for 1/2 plate glass in the size i need(72inX24in), Absolutely ridiculous!

I have a couple ideas in mind, one, does anyone know if this is the normal price for plate glass? Or should I shop around for a better deal? Two, I either have the idea to replace this back panel with plywood and waterproof, or to dismantle the aquarium and build a true plywood tank (with 3 sides as plywood).

My question is, what is the average cost of something like this? Could I, for example, just replace the back panel with plywood and have a safe, long lasting tank? This would be the cheapest option but ive never seen it done before.

Please please give me your inputs on this ! And any other method youve heard of or done yourself to repair a pretty large aquarium! I need cost effective ideas, I cannot believe the price of plate glass at 1/2 in! There has to be a better way :eek: :fish2:

Not sure where you are located but my LFS has the aqueon 125 on sale for $249.00

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Albuquerque, NM. We dont have the greatest selection of local stores out here. Luckily another glass shop said they could do the piece of glass for $150ish. The first store I called mustve just been smoking crack.

I got my whole tank for £350, 12mm (near enough 1/2")
All glass cut and polished, 11 pieces.
4 sides
2 base panels
5 bracing pieces.
The back panel is 1624mm x 750mm (64"x29.5")

I would shop around for glass! A bigger merchant will get a better stock price and should be cheaper.

Thanks for your input I think glass is a little more expensive here in the states. But i did find another store that would do the piece for under $150. I have no idea what was up with the first store, maybe they thought I said 1/2 foot glass haha.

Yes, I see that post. I probably didn't need to say anything.

Some glass stores here are much more money! Normally high street shops are way more than larger industrial estate type places. The difference is eye watering! Another point is some places don't stock everything, they'll bid you a price probably for the whole sheet +labor, then they are not at a loss if nobody else turns up to have a piece of what remains.

My tank worked out a lot cheaper because I got it when I worked as a glazier from one of our supply/production companies, we used them lots so I got benefit of existing discount rates. I probably should've paid a bit more? I thought I got a fair deal and I'm sure the manager lined his pocket too.
(He did because he was happy to deal for no extra bonus)

Things have gone up since then but that amount of money (400!) for what is a small panel really is ridiculous and I don't even work in bucks!

All I know is you can have a merry old time on 250 whatever you spends (y)

Back
Top Bottom