Mason Jars in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nygbrian9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I recently started a 55g Malawi Cichlid tank. I'm not new to planted tanks or community tanks, but this is my first cichlid set up (and solely full of Mbunas at the moment).

I came up with the idea of getting a couple mason jars, filling them with Java Moss, sealing the lid back on the jars, and then punching some holes in the lid... In order to allow water to flow between the aquarium and jar, and not allow the cichlids the opportunity to destroy/eat the moss.

My concern is that the mason jar lids may end up rusting. I asked several LFS if possible rust would harm the fish and none of them had a concrete answer aside from something along the lines of "probably not".

If anyone has any experience with mason jars/ lids in their aquarium I would love to hear your take. And if anyone has an answer as to how harmful the rust could be or if the lids will even rust I'd love to hear that too hahah. Thanks in advanced, I'm excited to hear your opinions.

Attachments

• Jar1.JPG
    Jar1.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 231
  • Jar2.JPG
    Jar2.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Jar3.JPG
    Jar3.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 194
Rust will kill fish. Also I don't think this is going to give the desired effect you want because there is nothing allowing the water to flow in and out of the jars. Basically the jars are going to create stagnant pools. If you want plants try Anubias or Java fern. Anubias is working great with my CA/SA cichlids. never tried plants wiht mbuna before

If it helps, I dropped a razor blade into my 90g reef tank. Couldn't find it even after taking out all the rock. Nothing bad ever came from it. But in saltwater we use GFO (pretty much rust) to get rid of phosphate.

I wonder if you could use something else instead of the metal lids. Plexiglas for the lid, and maybe glue it to the metal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They have the polycarbonate mason jars with screw on lids... Don't know how that would look, but no chance of rust there.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Tropical Community
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it!
I've taken the jars out, just to be safe.. But I'm considering glueing on some sort of mesh netting where the lids should be.

You could also use a rubberband, fishing line, or a zip tie

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I'll likely be using some fishing line. I'll get that done today and post a pic.

Thanks! I decided to scrap the idea and use the moss in my planted nano.
Although the jars looked real pretty the first few days, muck began to build up inside the jars.. Due to a lack of current running through them.
But this marinade jar idea is inspiring me to drill a few holes on the bottom of the jar too, and give it another shot.. Just to see if there'll be a current this time (and to see if I can avoid the muck).
Thanks for the idea! I'll probably try it out, and I'll let you know if I do.

With an enclosed jar, even with holes on both ends, you will probably not have enough flow through them unless you use a small pump and force the current through.

Back
Top Bottom