My own diy drop checker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I quickly threw together a drop checker today with things I had laying around the house. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389393296.130245.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389393310.139253.jpg
It's upside down there. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389393338.357560.jpg
Starting to turn green.

Thank you. It is working well. I was also concerned about getting 4dKH solution correct but is seems to be indicating fine. I enjoy the diy aspect of this hobby just as much as the plants and fish! ☺️

It is a container placed inside the tank with one of several various solutions inside. The general purpose of the solutions is to show the level of co2 in the tank.

You can buy indicator solutions, or DIY your own, which probobly works better.

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

I made my own solution as well but have say that I'm not 100% sure of its accuracy as I don't have a scale that goes into the decimal points. It's indicating green and the plants are pearling so that's a plus

If you are using a standard KH test you can double the accuracy by doubling the sample size of the water so that each drop is half a degree. You can further improve it to 0.25 degrees by quadrupling the sample size.

Ok now I'm confused ? which is easy to do. I made the solution by mixing 3 liters of distilled water with 3.6grams of baking soda giving me 40 dKH solution I them took 50 ml of the 40 dKH and diluted it with 450ml of distilled water giving me 4 dKH. I put 5ml in the drop checker and added 3 drops of ph tester. That gave me blue which turned to blue/green when adding the co2 to the tank. Of course trying to find the link to the info again is not easy task.

That's exactly where I found how the prep the solution. As you can see to doesn't say what drops to put in it to cause the reaction with the co2 so I found that elsewhere. That sited stated 3 drop of ph indicator per 5ml which I did. So am I to use ph indicator or kh?

Back
Top Bottom