Overflow Box Pipework Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wazz72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive got a Juwel Vision 450, that I want to add an overflow box to (I know I should have drilled it when it was empty).
The sump is in the far right hand side of the tank, and im just wondering if I put the overflow box at the far side would the flow be okay. I was looking at putting the overflow box in the center of the tank, but on second thoughts it would be better to the far left. Would having a slanted feed pipe make much difference to the flow, and would the overflow still work correctly. I have filled a tap to the pipe before the sump to alter the flow.
It is a 600GPH overflow using 1" pipe.

Attachments

• sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 102
I have since measured the overflow tubing as it looked bigger than 1" even though it had 1" stamped on it. The inside diameter measures 1 1/4"

I'm using 1" feed will 1/2" be okay on the return, from an eheim 1060 ?
I have taps on the return and the feed to adjust the flow.

i would say yes. from what i remember when i was looking for pump, they arent really flow monsters. and if its the factory out size then absolutely. you will pressure

I'm not too sure 1/2 will do.you need to check in the pump spec although the outlet may be 1/2" they normally state to upsize the actual pipework.

Right, I set the overflow box up at the weekend, and there are a few problems.
The tank is a Juwel 450, the box is wide enough to go over the edge of the tank and the 3d background, but to get the water in the box I have to put more water in the tank, and the brace bars are sitting a couple of mm under water, which disrupts the flow on the surface. Also if I open the feed tap full it cant suck out enough water, and gurgles as the flow is cut short. If I put even more water in the tank it may solve this. Temporarily I have attached the output from a fluidised filter which is supplying enough water to top it up.
I suppose that the box could do with being an inch lower to solve this. Would putting more water in help?
thanks.gif
, Warren.

Its as low as it will go, I did think about altering the depth on the tank side with my trusty dremel. If i put in the comb, it goes crazy and starts glugging.

Make a stand pipe for the back. That's what I had to do to mine. It will raise the water level in the overflow in the part thats in your tank and stop drawing in so much air. Make since? I'm on my phone and don't really know how to post a link to another thread but look up my 40gallon breeder thread and go to the last 2-4 pages. There is a vid that shows what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom