Permanent Substrate using silicon??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjfishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone glued rocks/sand to piece of acrylic using silicon? And how did you do it and how well did it work? I plan on doing for FW tank with just a top layer here and there not glued to fill in the gaps, but most of it glued down once I have it the way I like it. What do you guys think?

It works decently well for creating a rock/sand background. Using it on the substrate is asking for trouble. It ends up creating tons of nooks and crannies for food and fish waste to decompose in. Unless you're a big fan of blowing it out every week or so with a gravel vac or something, it's not worth the trouble imo.

why? i wouldnt do this. is this a fw or sw tank? the waste falls between the cracks and breaks down. if it wasnt it would be on top. it would look really dirty. might as well have a bb tank and paint the bottom.

It's freshwater,but I need to clarify a little more... I would silicon some gravel and other things to piece of acrylic and put that on the bottom of a glass aquarium ( On top of the glass bottom, it's not the actual bottom of the aquarium)then cover that with more gravel and clean it with a python. Is this still not a good idea? Thanks guys!:idea:

it could work i just dont understand why. if you dont have plants all you need is a thin amount of gravel on the bottom.

I think he is trying to glue bits of stuff down to acrylic sheets so it will stay put. I think it would work. This is no different than placing other artificial ornaments, you are just making a wider base for it.

Silicone or epoxy will work, depending on what you are gluing. <Silicone don't stick well to plexi, but if you use slate for your base, silicone would work well.> I wouldn't use hot glue ... doesn't stick under water.

super glue also works very well i've used it in a couple of my tanks just get the kind that is the gel kind works much better

Back
Top Bottom