pool filter in 225 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toyotasrfun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay
so i was goin through the garage today.. and i found this pool filter..
it says that it's good for like 3 thousand something liters or something..
i imagine that's the rating per hour..
i wont need anything close to that but i was wondering.. woudl i be able to use this?
i'm hopin to save a dollar or two on picking up a filter for my aquarium.. wondering if this is even somethign i might be able to look at..
please let me know what you think..

also.. i'll be using a small compressor to run airstones and junk into the tank.. i'm told arowana require lots of air.. gonna read as much as i can into that and hopefully figure that out.. plus i figure it cant be bad for my discus to have lots of air in the tank right?!
anyhow.. it's not a giant compressor by any means.. has a very gentle flow.. it's one of those airbrushing compressors.. very very small compressor.. i'll try to get the rating on that too..
anyhow.. lemme know what you guys think..

I really doubt you can use the pool filter. The flow rate from it would probably be outrageous for a tank of that size.

The air compressor may work, for a while. But I doubt it is rated for continuous duty. It probably works well running a few minutes at a time, but asking it to run 24/7 is probably a great way to burn it out.

should be OK

3000 liters is roughly 700 gallons per hr. So you would be OK. I would put a gate valve on the output of the filter to adjust the flow just incase. Now if its 3HP then its way to big. I use a 1/4 HP pool pump for my 12foot garden pond.

alright so i have some stats on the pool filter
here goes

it is an Action Sports, Inc. F120

slm cartridge filter

filtration rate 550 GPH
120v
90W
60 Hz
1.6A

it is the kind of model that has a strainer but i guess the previous owner kept it for sentimental reasons or whatever as weve never owned a pool?!
anyhow... thats what it is
let me know what you think about it
i dont figure it will be my forever filter.. but heck.. if it will last me for a while until i can affort a real aquarium filter whatever.. to be honest though i think its a neat idea and wont cost me more than well.. filter media and some piping.. anyway.. let me know what you guys thing
thanks!

Its a sand filter..
If you can figure out how to plumb up some backflushing plumbing (google is your freind here, I cant remeber how to do it) it might be a winner for mechanical filtration..

But there are some filter media's that could be used with it that would be considered ALOT simpler (less likely to clog up) then sand.

Check out Pond fourms, those guys work with and build these things from scratch, they have some great ideas :D

Back
Top Bottom