Resealing my 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whodeymatt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a used 150 gallon tank. It may be 20 years old. Before I set it up, I put it in the garage and filled it. It has a very small drip in the front. The back and sides are fine. There is a ton of extra caulk where someone has added to the caulk before. So I am in the process of removing all the caulk and resealing it with silicone made for aquariums. I have heard different things when removing....There is of course a gap where the bottom and front meet if I remove the old silicone. Do I need to go down that far to remove every speck of silicone? Or just scrape off what is on the front and bottom glass? I don't want to damage my seams but don't want this thing leaking. Since it is so old, I want to remove and reseal everything. Thanks.

I am definitely no pro at resealing tanks but from what I've read, just scrape each side of the joint and leave the silicone between the joints alone. If you start digging silicone out of the joint, you might as well pry the glass apart and start from ground zero with the reseal. You might check with a local mom & pop fish store or a glass shop for more info, or even hire someone with experience. Good luck.

150 gallon and 20 yrs. Old! That's gonna b alot of weight.I'd reseal all u can. Caulk ages too just like lawnmower tires over the yrs. Better to b safe than sorry. And if u do it right the first time u won't have to do it again. Just my thought.

Back
Top Bottom