Specimen containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HAVAMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do not know if anyone else does this or not but it works extremely well for me, I've taken a large specimen container like they use at your LFS and on three of the sides ( two sides and front that faces water ) and used my dremel moto tool and drilled small holes into it so after I've floated my bags with my fish I put them into these containers and it very slowly acclimated the fish to their new home.
Now when you put them into these containers let the container float at the top so as you pour the water in it will slowly go done into the water, hope this helps someone?

IMO adding the store's water isn't as bad as everyone makes it sound. You don't dry off the fish and sterilize them before you add them to the tank, so if there are any pathogens present they will get in either way. Secondly, fish don't get sick just because there are pathogens around, they get sick when they are stressed and then whatever pathogens are around (which there are always some) have a chance to cause illness. The only real issue with the water in the bag is unnecessarily adding ammonia to your tank.

Very few fish need a significant acclimation. Sensitive fish like discus, fancy plecos, cardinal tetras, etc need a drip acclimation. Once this is performed they should go in. IMO it is more stressful to cram them in a tiny container instead of just letting them in to the nicely setup display where they can join a school or hide if they prefer.

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this had a lot going on, I agree the water is not as bad as everyone says, and by putting them into the specimen container with the small holes, it allows for the tank water to slowly work it's way in, I've used these successfully for years, no ammonia build up cause the tank water circulates with the water inside.
The LFS that I go to has been in business for many years, he takes very good of his tanks and he is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met when it comes to aquariums and the creatures we put in there.

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this had a lot going on, I agree the water is not as bad as everyone says, and by putting them into the specimen container with the small holes, it allows for the tank water to slowly work it's way in, I've used these successfully for years, no ammonia build up cause the tank water circulates with the water inside.
The LFS that I go to has been in business for many years, he takes very good of his tanks and he is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met when it comes to aquariums and the creatures we put in there.

Unfortunatley I dont have that luxery. My LFS is not trustworthy but I dont have a choice but to use them. I mean I guess they are trustworthy but they always have lots of dead fish and they crashed my tank with their plants....

Back
Top Bottom