Stand issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a 55g stand today and when I placed my tank on it I noticed that the stand was 12 1/2" wide and my tank is 13" wide. Is the half inch a problem?

If your tank is hanging over the side 1/2" then I would say yes because that would run the entire length of the tank that isn't being supported.

I bought a 55g stand today and when I placed my tank on it I noticed that the stand was 12 1/2" wide and my tank is 13" wide. Is the half inch a problem?

Sounds like it's not a 55g stand. The support of the entire rim is critical since you're talking about nearly 500lbs sitting on it. I'd suggest getting a piece of 3/4 inch plywood cut so you have an extra 1 inch around the edge of the tank, put that on your stand and your tank will be better supported. I don't like the tank at the edge of a platform without some extra wiggle room.

Thanks, me neither. I'm going to return it, I want the stand to be built for a 55. Originally wasn't too worried about wiggle room as it is in a peaceful spot, didn't think of it. Was worried about vertical support.

Thanks, me neither. I'm going to return it, I want the stand to be built for a 55. Originally wasn't too worried about wiggle room as it is in a peaceful spot, didn't think of it. Was worried about vertical support.

Good idea, better safe than sorry when it comes to fitting a stand and tank together.

I live in earthquake country, so wiggle room is a given lol.

Do you think that it would be alright vertically?

Not sure what you mead by vertically.

Trouble is, you don't know what tank size the stand was built to support and they design those store bought stand to hold so much weight and no more, which is one reason I prefer building my own (3:1 factor).

I'm only guessing and don't want to speak for him but I'm guessing he is building it 3x's stronger than needed to support the given weight (so a stand for a 55 is strong enough to hold 150g of water if needed) or something along those lines. Given that a a stand the size of a 55 tank wouldn't hold a tank the size of a 150.

I agree. I overbuild everything. Plus I just enjoy building the stuff and most of the time it actually turns out ok! :)

Edit: Guess I was right! Posted up while I was typing.

Thanks guys! I would love to build a stand but I don't have the tools or space to do so. Would anyone be willing to suggest any tips I could follow to build a stand under these circumstances? Might not be much I can do though.

Amicus said:
Thanks guys! I would love to build a stand but I don't have the tools or space to do so. Would anyone be willing to suggest any tips I could follow to build a stand under these circumstances? Might not be much I can do though.

Since you bought the stad retail, I'd take it back myself. Look for alternatives too. My DT is on a TV cabinet that was built like a tank. We have a good size console that our flat screen sits on and I think it would work great as a tank stand with a bit of beefing up.

if its a flat pack and you dont want to take it apart and take it back i would at least cut a piece of 3/4 plywood and glue it to the top screw it too if you have a drill to fit your aquarium

Back
Top Bottom