Sump - Your Thought on My Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any comments are appreciated. It'll be for a 200 gallon. I made it with google sketchup free so if you want the model, let me know.

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 120
  • Sump 2.jpg
    Sump 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 83
Looks really nice.

Why did you section off the last chamber? The final chamber where your pump is is where you'll have the water lower as evaporation occurs. Having it that small means that chamber will drop faster. If you have a solid ATO that won't matter though, I guess.

What is the length total dimension?

I might make the skimmer section a little smaller. You don't really need to fit much else in there. No point in having more room in that section then you need. Would use that to make your fuge bigger.

Looks really nice.

Why did you section off the last chamber? The final chamber where your pump is is where you'll have the water lower as evaporation occurs. Having it that small means that chamber will drop faster. If you have a solid ATO that won't matter though, I guess.

What is the length total dimension?

Good question. That last chamber where the return is, actually has an opening in the bottom. that mean that that the whole "L" shapped area is a return area. The water level should not get above the top of that part under normal operation. Here is a pic of that area. It is 48X24X18

Yes, I have an ATO that works good at keeping water at a very constatn level.

Attachments

• Sump 3.jpg
    Sump 3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 94
I might make the skimmer section a little smaller. You don't really need to fit much else in there. No point in having more room in that section then you need. Would use that to make your fuge bigger.

The skimmer in the pic is a place holder. The skimmer I am looking at (reef octopus super) will take up just about the whole area.

Why did you put slats on the bottom of the inlet chamber instead of letting the water overflow over it. Noise?

Why did you put slats on the bottom of the inlet chamber instead of letting the water overflow over it. Noise?

On my current sump, I put LR rubble in it. When I added it to my current sump, it cut down on the bubbles into the skimmer area. The bubbles and any foam floated to the top. The slats are really there to keep the LR rubble in place and not migrate out of the area.

is that the normal free sketchup?

Yes it is. Pretty powerfull stuff. I actually designed a very weird box, it had about 3 angles and insets and outsets, that I wanted for my boat. When I went to have it made (molded), I supplied the sketchup to the plastics company and within a coule days I had my molded box.

I am using this on my laptop now, but if I put on my desktop that has a percisoin laser mouse, I could have fine tuned a little more. Some of these are off by 1/64th, close enough for what I am doing.

Oh, something else to consider.

I have a bubble tower in my sump, just like in your sketchup. I'm now wishing I would've done socks instead and am trying to figure out a way to rig it up without disturbing the system.

The socks will control your bubbles, and you have a trap anyway. Consider switching to use socks instead, I wish I had.

Oh, something else to consider.

I have a bubble tower in my sump, just like in your sketchup. I'm now wishing I would've done socks instead and am trying to figure out a way to rig it up without disturbing the system.

Intersting!!!

I had a 4" sock as well. It did help, but I got tired of buying them and cleaning them. Since removing it and adding more rock between water inlet and outlet, it worked just as well, I think. I have also thought about making a chanmer in the smaller return zone area that I could place a filter / spoung of some sort. That would help too.

Back
Top Bottom