Sylvania ballast and DIY PC lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hate to ask this as it has been discussed before somewhat but here goes.

I have read that Lowes sells a decent electronic ballast (2x32) that can be used for PC lighting. I am setting up a 10 gal and was going to build a canopy and a 2x32 seems like it would work.

Will this ballast plug into the bulbs or will I have to get end caps? I saw a few ballasts at HD that had plugs already. I assume this was a magnetic ballast since it was so cheap. It would do up to 40 watts and was only $15.

hellolights has a nano ballast with everything included except the bulb and reflector for $25 but I would need 2 of them. It would give me more flexibility though since it will power a 55 watt bulb.

Any ideas? I am not looking for killer lighting just something cheap for a softie tank.

Well, I have to comment on the nano ballast from hellolights. I have one and indeed it works well, but it will not power a 55 W to it's fullest potential. It is noticably dimmer. The square pin "end cap" is more of an adapter as opposed to a socket. It would not be advisable for use in a closed canopy. I think they are wonderful for use with a new true end cap and for additional supplementation on say a nano cube. Give the Lowes ballast a shot if it doesn't work out you can always exchange it or return it.

R-

Well, that just show you how much I know :) The ballast at HD had the same connector on them as the nano ballast did.

I just got back from Lowes and I found a 2x32 for $19.99 and a 4x32 for $29.99. There was a 120v and a 270?v version. I am guessing I need the 120v. It was just bare wires so I will need to get endcaps. I was thinking of getting the 4x32 just so if I ever need this for something bigger. Could this run 28 watt bulbs too or just 32 and would it be bad to use only 2 bulbs on a 4 channel ballast?

I saw a DIY on making some sockets using parts off an old PC power supply ans using shrink tubing to seal it. I think it was on nano-reef but the pics were gone due to the age of the post(2003). Any one done this or know a cheap place to get them. I will try premiumaquatics since they are close.

There was a 120v and a 270?v version

The 270 volt (actually 277 volt) is from a 3 phase 440 volt system. One leg of 440 to a neutral. You would want the 120 volt type for sure. Alot of commercial and industrial places use the 440 3 phase voltages.

Mike

Thanks for the info. I figured the 120 was what I wanted. It just took me a bit to see the difference since the tags looked the same and the part numbers were very similar.

Some ballasts have wiring for both and some have it for 3 different voltages. Just be careful if you get those kind of ballasts that you connect the right ones. You would just tape off the others and not use them.

From a tip from a RC member, I got a shop ligt from HD that had a 2x32 electronic ballast in it. It was only $7.50.

I am going to order some bulbs and test it out. Do I have to stick with 32 watt bulbs or can I use 28 watt bulbs? Not sure which be be easier to get.

I meant to check the brand this morning but forgot. It is a 48" shop light and it says it has an electronic ballast in the description on the box. Plus it is the only light that is that price. The $7.50 is not the exact price but it is close. It is $7.xx

You will have to remove the ballast from the metal housing and then get your own end caps if you want to run PC's.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom