what an adventure. (long post but its worth it)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foma2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
so heres the story of my mid cycle retrofitting for a fuge. so to start off, i was in mid cycle of my 25 gal salt tank with 20 lbs of live rock (ugly stuff) with a cpr bak pak. i really wasn't happy with it at all. i didn't like how the lights looked. i didn't like how the rocks looked. i didn't like how the sand looked. and i really didn't think the tank had what was nessasary to be succesful ( i want to grow corals in it down the road.) then i heard from a friend that he wanted to give back a tank i had set up for him a while back that was doing really well. it was a 9 gal salt water tank wit 15 lbs live rock, and i thought to my self, this would be the perfect fuge. if i set up a fuge then i could put all the ugly rock from the 25 gal and put it in the fuge, and take the nice rock from the 9 gal and put it in the display tank. the only problem was that the only place to put it was right next to the display tank. this is good in a way because then the out put from the cpr bak pak could just spill right into the fuge. but how was i going to get the water back into the 25 gal? i imediatly thought over flow, and set to work building one out of pcv pipe. now to make the actual box part i decided to use an old flash light cover, one of the cheep plastic ones, so i set upon cutting slits to let water in when all of a sudden the exacto nife slips and cuts my finger from my fingernail to my first nuckle. and deep. (it was bleeding for a full 12 hours (the only way to get it to stop was to rap the bandaid so tight that i couldn't feel it any more)) at that point i just said to heck with the over flow cover and just used pvc pipe ( i still need to put a filter on it so no pods get stuck in it) so every thing was going great. i had the fuge set up with a 5" sand bed, i had water ready to fill it up, and i had my over flow tubes. the only thing left to do was turn the pump on and see how it goes. so i turn it on, and the fuge fills up. and it keeps filling, and filling, but wait, the water level isn't equalizing in the main tank i didn't know what do to. i thought the plan was flawless. i spent the next half an hour trying to figure it out. i put in 3 more over flows but that didn't help at all. then i decided to try raising the fuge higher. and that seemed to work better, but it still was good enough. so i raised the fuge as much as i could and it was working really well, but then i saw water seeping out from the bottom of the tank. and this is where i fliped out. i thought i had cracked the bottom of the tank. then after 10 min of expeting everything i noticed that the cpr bak pak had overflowed wile trying to pump up to the raised fuge. so i lowered the fuge just a bit and presto. every thing works flawlessly now. couldn't be happier. oh. and in the prossess i retro fited the lights so the look much better. i also built a home made C02 reactor(thanks to shawmutt for the idea) while i was at it and a matching bubble lader out of a cd case(this one was all me). i can now say that everything but the cpr bak pak and the glass is DIY. :D so thats my story. thanks for sitting through it.
i wish i could have posted pics but i dont have a digital camara.

sounds like quite an adventure....it is a shame you can't post the pics

Back
Top Bottom