Wood for tanks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ukdans1k

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know of any other wood you can place in an aquarium safely? Other than big wood or shop brought woods,

I was thinking as I live next to a woods/ Forrest whatever you call it, that I could just find some interesting shapes and collect them . But was worried that it might not be safe. Most of the trees in the woods are oak.

Any ideas ??????

Keep in mind I tend to over do. I would soak it in water & 10% bleach for a few weeks. Rinse it well. Soak it in water with declor,rinse let it air out put in a test tank with a fish. If all goes well for 3 or 4 weeks you should be ok. Maybe oak is just bad?

There is othere types of wood, I just figured hardwood is better than soft wood?????

You pretty much need a bogwood. Anything else is going to break down and dissolve in your tank over time. Mangrove and cypress are examples of a good bogwood. Mopani from Africa is what most lfs's sell, you just have to soak it for a few days/weeks to get all the tannins out. Most of your normal trees like oak or hickorywill soak up water, causing the fibers to swell up and split. When that happens the wood starts coming apart. Not good in an aquarium.

Search around creeks and streams and you may find some good pieces. just do as others have suggested and boil it, soak it in bleach and whatever else you have to do to kill any 'critters' living inside it.

Any dead wood will work. Hardwood will last longer. You don't want anything that is rotting or green. Stay away from evergreens because of the sap. Put it through the dishwasher to kill any bugs and fungus. I use collected wood in many of my tanks. Works well. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Any dead wood will work. Hardwood will last longer. You don't want anything that is rotting or green. Stay away from evergreens because of the sap. Put it through the dishwasher to kill any bugs and fungus. I use collected wood in many of my tanks. Works well. :)

I have had issues like mad with this. Ebay has great looking wood, great descriptions and as I'm setting up my 55, decided to go with a "forest-ish" theme and bought a lot. Half of what I received was said to be driftwood- but rather a soft dry bunch of danger.. began the temper-tannin process and the next day it all had begun crumbling. Nonstop water changes revealed rotting foul wood, junked it. So, why is this such a perplexing problem and be careful- also bleach is right on. I bought this stuff from states in the south- great way to import new termites and the such hey? Good luck, I'm doing more research and any replies are a thanks in advance!

I just recently acquired some driftwood that my husband found by the river. I boiled it for 2 days (not at night or if I left the house, but it took 2 days). Now that the water is clear I have it soaking so that it becomes saturated and sinks instead of floats. Once it sinks it's going into the aquarium. If it were me looking for wood I'd just go for walks by a stream/river/beach and see what I could find.

Bearchumjs said:
I just recently acquired some driftwood that my husband found by the river. I boiled it for 2 days (not at night or if I left the house, but it took 2 days). Now that the water is clear I have it soaking so that it becomes saturated and sinks instead of floats. Once it sinks it's going into the aquarium. If it were me looking for wood I'd just go for walks by a stream/river/beach and see what I could find.

Whoa, 2 days of boiling is a 1000X better way to go than 2-8 weeks of soaking- and this really pulls out the tannins? Well, just got my weekend project! Thanks!

Whoa, 2 days of boiling is a 1000X better way to go than 2-8 weeks of soaking- and this really pulls out the tannins? Well, just got my weekend project! Thanks!

We boiled our mopani for 2-3 days, and it STILL leached a bit (not a ton, but enough for the water to look like very weak tea). I can't imagine how bad it would have been without the days of boiling. :)

Nreal said:

Yeah, I noticed that the water was alot darker if i boiled it. When I left it to soak over night ( it wasn't boiling) the water was not as dark as when I boiled it.

So I have been boiling a few kinds of wood (that sounds so odd out of context) for days, I have previously been soaking them for weeks. Still, they create tea colored water. I hate tannins like I hate a bad silicone seal. For those of you that have boiled wood, or just left it in a bucket, does it ever stop or are some woods always going to make tea? I am wondering if the wood may be rotting, and that is causing the discoloration, as pieces are always coming off...Help!

Nreal said:
So I have been boiling a few kinds of wood (that sounds so odd out of context) for days, I have previously been soaking them for weeks. Still, they create tea colored water. I hate tannins like I hate a bad silicone seal. For those of you that have boiled wood, or just left it in a bucket, does it ever stop or are some woods always going to make tea? I am wondering if the wood may be rotting, and that is causing the discoloration, as pieces are always coming off...Help!

Mine stopped releasing tannins after I boiled it for 2 days. It's probably not a good sign if the wood is falling apart.

So funny about how that sounds out of context. My 5 year old kept asking what I was cooking for dinner and I'd say "wood and rocks!". He was so sad and would say "but I don't like wood and rocks for dinner!"

It's really odd though. I have already used one driftwood mounted on slate in a previous tank, no issues. Because it was in a previous saltwater tank I thought to wash it well, and it actually started to turn the water into darker tea color! Why? No idea- makes no sense. My luck! More boiling!

Forgot to mention how cute that sounds "but I don't like wood and rocks" I read it to my fiancé and we laughed.

AndrewsPistol said:
I've been boiling mine for 3 days, still leaching TONS of tannins :/

Just keep it up I guess. I wish I could tell you why it's leeching so many tannins still. Are you changing the water alot? I'd boil mine about 10 mins and then dump out the water, bring it back to a boil and boil it 10 mins.... Over and over again.

Bearchumjs said:
Just keep it up I guess. I wish I could tell you why it's leeching so many tannins still. Are you changing the water alot? I'd boil mine about 10 mins and then dump out the water, bring it back to a boil and boil it 10 mins.... Over and over again.

I have been boiling till about 1/3 of the water evaporates then dump and start all over again! Then at night I soak it overnight... I'm just gonna keep cookin that sucka! :)

Bearchumjs said:

That could be the issue- I'm doing it every few hours but regardless, the longer you boil the darker it gets so it can only reabsorb a tiny amount, as it has looked like dark tea one time I was preoccupied and let it go for 6 hours- I know the fibers open and the process, it must be the type of or condition of the wood...I'm throwing the one that sometimes breaks off small pieces. It feels as driftwoody as they come but my guess is ? Honestly I need to keep asking for personal results. This tank has been my passion and too many nieces and nephews want a beautiful aquarium to mesmerize them so out with the old wood, and in with the well, more old wood. I need a rotting meter. No characteristics of such sans a little break off now and again but all good things take time!

I own cabins up by lake michigan, and those driftwood pieces are free. Naturally I start a project that needs what I cannot get because of the time started!
I need less tea. Oh well there is a reason, if none found it gets tossed in the junk-

Back
Top Bottom