Wood for tanks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nreal said:
I own cabins up by lake michigan, and those driftwood pieces are free. Naturally I start a project that needs what I cannot get because of the time started!
I need less tea. Oh well there is a reason, if none found it gets tossed in the junk-

I should have went hunting for mine, I bought mine online and the description said preboiled and free of tannins! Life of tea over here too :)

It's recommended to boil at 30 min intervals. Don't ask me though, I can't remember the last tank I've had with wood. I think since the mid 90's.

Just now am I actually optimistic of getting clean, clear water tomorrow. It's taken days and days but it is beginning to have almost no color and the 30 min. intervals regimen sounds perfect- hang in there and eventually it really will stop. I honestly doubted it, shame on me.

Mumma.of.two said:
Don't be afraid of a little tannin!! If it leaches in the tank it's no big deal. Water changes and carbon will help if you don't like it.
I'm not sweatin the color change... What about ph? Will dw mess with it? I'm keeping African cichlids, and from what I read they prefer a higher ph.

Nreal said:
Just now am I actually optimistic of getting clean, clear water tomorrow. It's taken days and days but it is beginning to have almost no color and the 30 min. intervals regimen sounds perfect- hang in there and eventually it really will stop. I honestly doubted it, shame on me.

Ahhh lucky duck! Mine faded but showed no signs of giving in ;)

AndrewsPistol said:
I'm not sweatin the color change... What about ph? Will dw mess with it? I'm keeping African cichlids, and from what I read they prefer a higher ph.

What kind of decor do you have. Do you use any crushed coral for substrate or limestone rocks?

I just have cichlid stones and some fake plants now, I ordered some "tiger stripe" rocks from eBay that I'm expecting any day now and I'm switching to blasting sand soon.

AndrewsPistol said:

The higher the pH usually the harder the water. The harder the water the less the effect of the tannins. I have wood in all my tanks. I have a pH of 7.6 from the tap and all my tanks (except the ones with play sand that sit at 8 ). The wood doesn't effect it at all. I don't presoak any wood anymore. The tanks turn a tea color between water changes and have no drop in pH. I'm sure if there was a huge amount it would change but I'm yet to see it.

Mumma.of.two said:
The higher the pH usually the harder the water. The harder the water the less the effect of the tannins. I have wood in all my tanks. I have a pH of 7.6 from the tap and all my tanks (except the ones with play sand that sit at 8 ). The wood doesn't effect it at all. I don't presoak any wood anymore. The tanks turn a tea color between water changes and have no drop in pH. I'm sure if there was a huge amount it would change but I'm yet to see it.

Cool :) its not a huge piece so I'm hoping there is no effect, plus I'm pretty sure our water is hard :)

AndrewsPistol said:
I just have cichlid stones and some fake plants now, I ordered some "tiger stripe" rocks from eBay that I'm expecting any day now and I'm switching to blasting sand soon.

I never thought of blasting sand- I'm still at the "what substrate to use, and what color" I thought of going with a black -can't remember the manufacturer- round gravel with "paths" of white sand looping around would look stunning. I'm aquaticscaping novice #1 but a forest scene with pathways and ancient trees with moss hanging is my goal. The issues come in when i need to hear personal experiance. Research often leads to definitions, so listening to personal experience and ideas is priceless. Sorry to babble- just think blasting sand is a great idea- a very fine sand would also (I assume) be preferred by the CRS I will be devoting a 10gal to. Just need to get my aquariums stabilized and take a break to add more funds!

Nreal said:
I never thought of blasting sand- I'm still at the "what substrate to use, and what color" I thought of going with a black -can't remember the manufacturer- round gravel with "paths" of white sand looping around would look stunning. I'm aquaticscaping novice #1 but a forest scene with pathways and ancient trees with moss hanging is my goal. The issues come in when i need to hear personal experiance. Research often leads to definitions, so listening to personal experience and ideas is priceless. Sorry to babble- just think blasting sand is a great idea- a very fine sand would also (I assume) be preferred by the CRS I will be devoting a 10gal to. Just need to get my aquariums stabilized and take a break to add more funds!

The best part about blasting sand is the price! Can't beat it!

Mumma.of.two said:

I started the soaking thins as the stone was from my previous reef tank and wanted the salt to wash off. Granted a bit brackish will be ok yet I would prefer to control it over the residue from limestone and live rock. I just find it amazing that I see tannin from a piece of wood that was submerged for a year. But, it may be now I am using soft water, or honestly I can't find a reason it decided to expel tannins. I never read that carbon removes the tannin -in the aquarium- do you mean color or chemical, or both?

AndrewsPistol said:
The best part about blasting sand is the price! Can't beat it!

Totally genius idea, really. Shhhhhhh or the aquarists will drive the price up! Supply and demand!!

AndrewsPistol said:

My pH was 8.2. Adding the driftwood lowered it to 8.0 so hardly any change. Watch for nitrite and ammonia spikes. I tested the driftwood water that I was soaking mine in waiting for it to sink and the ammo was 1.0 and trites were 2.0. After I put it in the tank the ammo was 0 but trites spiked from .25 to 2.0. My tank is still cycling though. Sounds like your tank is established but I would do a test after 12-24 hours of adding the driftwood just to make sure everything is peachy keen.

I did nothing with my tank yesterday. Shame on me!! I'll get back to doing the testing today and hopefully the trites will be down. If not I'll have to do a water change... Again... Fish-in cycling can be exhausting! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom