Does our fish have emotions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely understand where you're coming from. We have no definitive proof that fish/plants/more simple organisms can feel even basic emotions. But I suppose until we can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they don't, I'm open to the possibility. *shrugs*

My left and right brain are perpetually at war. :lol:

I definitely understand where you're coming from. We have no definitive proof that fish/plants/more simple organisms can feel even basic emotions. But I suppose until we can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they don't, I'm open to the possibility. *shrugs*

My left and right brain are perpetually at war. :lol:

Haha I agree. That is the basis of science. Nothing is ever 100% proved.

I swear i had a black clown and white bubble anemone.,.the clown eat small pieces of flake food and take the big pieces to her buddy mr anemone...every day i see her doing this...the cleaner shrimp he can be just bored from cleaning fish from parasites then all the fish green damsels and the clown come in front of the cleaning station mr shrimp's rock then standing giving their sides for the shrimp that can be for 30 min of just begging the shrimp to help them ... I tried to drop some flakes over the clown.. I wasn't believing this the clown took the food by her mouth and drop on the shrimp eyes he ate it for sure in a sec..then believe or not i swear he began moving his claws near the fish that are waiting all that time..fish just moved to the claws and he begun cleaning all the 5 fish..and for the clown he gave her extra time bonus..

I swear i had a black clown and white bubble anemone.,.the clown eat small pieces of flake food and take the big pieces to her buddy mr anemone...every day i see her doing this...the cleaner shrimp he can be just bored from cleaning fish from parasites then all the fish green damsels and the clown come in front of the cleaning station mr shrimp's rock then standing giving their sides for the shrimp that can be for 30 min of just begging the shrimp to help them ... I tried to drop some flakes over the clown.. I wasn't believing this the clown took the food by her mouth and drop on the shrimp eyes he ate it for sure in a sec..then believe or not i swear he began moving his claws near the fish that are waiting all that time..fish just moved to the claws and he begun cleaning all the 5 fish..and for the clown he gave her extra time bonus..
symbiosis! Gotta love nature.

Very cool but that's still not emotion lol. That's commensalism, a type of symbiosis and is programmed in these animals.

Closest to emotions in fish would be whales(mammals actually) and the way they act with their offspring, depressing as it sounds when a whale loses it's young to say.. A killer whale. It can be observed as almost grieving the loss.. Sad:(

Closest to emotions in fish would be whales(mammals actually) and the way they act with their offspring, depressing as it sounds when a whale loses it's young to say.. A killer whale. It can be observed as almost grieving the loss.. Sad:(

I think we are forgetting about the notorious dolphins. They CAN express their feelings and communicate

true! They enjoy playing with their kill too!

Yes they can let you know a lot if you train them. I'm open to the suggestion that fish are a lot more complex then we are thinking. Some more then others. Some can change color to show how they feel and others can't. That doesn't mean they aren't able to properly express themselves basically or show their emotions

These are mammals being discussed now lol. Completely different than fish.

Those are social cues and ways to communicate not emotion. This thread is discussing fish being sad, happy, angry, etc. what you guys are arguing is basic behavior. Fish don't get sad when a mate dies, they aren't happy when they eat. They just do what they do because it is hard wired into their system or learned when young.
If you can show me a true example of a fish showing "human" emotion I will back down but nothing to that extent has been shown.

Look at how they display their color and for different things. Has there really been enough testing done to determine fish truly don't have emotions?

No there hasn't but there's no tests saying they have it either.

Look at how they display their color and for different things. Has there really been enough testing done to determine fish truly don't have emotions?

Well, cephalopods have very different brain structures from fish. When dealing with animals, I personally err on the side of caution about limiting their mental potential since many creatures have much more going on in their brains than they have previously (or presently) been given credit for. Fish have a pretty simple brain in comparison to many other creatures. You might be surprised at how much research has actually been done on the fish brain and fish behaviors. They are a more readily study-able organism than many. I have to day that overall, I agree that fish do not show any human-relatable emotions. They do show behaviors and reactions to their environment, but they do not have a part of the brain where higher emotions are processed. That said, I generally still refer to a healthy, active fish as "happy" because it is the easiest thing to say in the situation.

Well, cephalopods have very different brain structures from fish. When dealing with animals, I personally err on the side of caution about limiting their mental potential since many creatures have much more going on in their brains than they have previously (or presently) been given credit for. Fish have a pretty simple brain in comparison to many other creatures. You might be surprised at how much research has actually been done on the fish brain and fish behaviors. They are a more readily study-able organism than many. I have to day that overall, I agree that fish do not show any human-relatable emotions. They do show behaviors and reactions to their environment, but they do not have a part of the brain where higher emotions are processed. That said, I generally still refer to a healthy, active fish as "happy" because it is the easiest thing to say in the situation.

I agree very much. To add many fish have complex social structures (african cichlids) and show high levels of intelligence. The argument here IMO is that the op is saying fish show humanly emotions which I don't see proof of in this thread. I'm enjoying the argument though. Good debate people :)

I think the clown were loving the anemone not as a host only... But as a friend ..no body ever know what's in her head that moment but i think it had a bit emotional behavior..thank you guys for replying on my post..

Back
Top Bottom