First tanks? Wall of shame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. My first tank. I was 10 and it was a 2.5 gallon, you know the kind they make for beta. It had a sponge filter... I had a snail, and five angel fish. Somehow, I have no idea how, the angelfish lived like six months. Then two of them died. And one of them picked on the snail so much that it got a hole in it's shell and died. I finally looked it up and found out they needed a LOT more room. So we moved them into my moms 125 gallon. They lived for about 6 years. I feel so ashamed about this haha. Two years later I got a 10 gallon and a few guppies and that's when the addiction began after the first (horrible) experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My first tank was a 2.5 gallon in 2012 with an airstone (said it was an under gravel filter) started off with a fancy gold fish (Zeus :'( and two guppies. One of my guppies went quick but the other two lived a couple months until zues got to big to swim around and died. So I went to the store knowing that I couldn't get a goldfish and bought two Rosie reds and two zebra danios. The danios lived for almost a year before I bought my 26 gallon bow and used them to cycle it where they still live happily today.... The only problem is when I went to the store to get supplies for my 26 gallon i fell in lovvvve with a black moor and against my better judgement put him the 2.5 gallon and bought a real filter. He didn't last long and I still feel horrible because by that time I knew I shouldn't have put him in there.
Currently I have 3 tanks a fluval chi with shrimp- the 2.5 houses a happy Betta. And my 26 houses an angel, community tank that is a little overstocked i admit but I have two c3's on it and do frequent water changes. Also I'm giving live plants a try and I am having some success.
In my opinion I have come a long ways since I was 12 back in 2012 to 14yrs old now and wish I could get a large tank (75 gallons ish) but my parents crushed that hope at first mention.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Same, my parents won't even think of a 20g. I do have a bad first fishtank, but it's my friends. It's a 5 and 1/2 gallon tank with 3 Platys and fry, and a cory. When she first got it it didn't have any thing in it, so I went with her to buy fish and plants. The next day she told me all of the Platys had died. Oh, and there were amano shrimp, but they died. So she got 2 more sets of 3 Platys and they all died. Finally, it came out! She wasn't using water conditioner! So now when I see her tank I want to cry, because the water is down 3 inches, it's cloudy, covered in algae, and there's no plants, only a rock and driftwood.

My first tank was a 55 gallon given to me as a "gift" by someone moving down south.
It was filthy, and contained two 8" silver dollars, a 15" iridescent shark, and three cories.
I then "adopted" a bunch of random fish from a guy who wanted to redo his tank, so I ended up with an angelfish, a harlequin rasbora, four boesemani rainbows, and a black neon tetra.
Strangely, things went relatively well for a while.
Anyway, as soon as I had all the fish I started doing my homework. The IS was rehomed to a 500 gallon indoor pond with some other ISs and I still have most of the rest save for some territorial and accidental deaths (that IS was a tank buster for sure)
Tank still isn't perfect but I've done a lot with it since. You can't ever learn enough!

Back
Top Bottom