GloFish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing is that they were not created to be pretty. They were created to detect pollution in waterways. The science can also be used to detect cancer genes. I would say the comparison is more like the argument of stem cell research. It is actually a useful thing! These fish are just a bi-product. Just my opinion.........

That was true - until the pollution detection experiment failed. Now they are not used for that at all and just "made" and bred for home aquaria. Now, they really are being created to be 'pretty.'

i dont care for them personally, but my little girl loves going to the store and seeing them, but will probably still never own them. as far as glo tetras and skirts getting into the wild, i dont thing they will be able to breed fast enough to sustain a steady population due to they are pretty much a swimming glowing neon "eat me" sign. i would probably worry about glo convicts being that they arent just prey fish in their natural environment, and they breed so readily.

personally i think if i say these fish are an absolute abomination then i dont think i can morally be ok with eating pork, beef or drinking milk with the amound of tampering that have gone on in the food industry.

i dont care for them personally, but my little girl loves going to the store and seeing them, but will probably still never own them. as far as glo tetras and skirts getting into the wild, i dont thing they will be able to breed fast enough to sustain a steady population due to they are pretty much a swimming glowing neon "eat me" sign. i would probably worry about glo convicts being that they arent just prey fish in their natural environment, and they breed so readily.

personally i think if i say these fish are an absolute abomination then i dont think i can morally be ok with eating pork, beef or drinking milk with the amound of tampering that have gone on in the food industry.

I respect strong beliefs like yours. If you can back it up I would be proud. I personally, couldn't make it without meat and dairy. I have a vegan friend who feels the same way.

it makes me really mad how it started as an experiment and now they are intentionally injecting angelfish with a needle so their offspring glow now that it ridiculous and cruel i will never buy another glofish. genetically modifying fish is a disgrace to this hobby

I actually like em. In fact, my daughter coming home at 10pm one night with her friend and asking me/wife if we were in a good mood because she brought home something alive is what got me back into the hobby after 6 years with no tanks.

It was a fight teaching her how to take care/cycle/maintain her tank and keep her Glo Zebras alive lol. Just noticed ones pregnant/Gravid and I'm checking each day for eggs, would be nice to have more for her tank and not pay $5.99 for them lol.

Edit: Noticed several Glofish threads when you do a search for the term, and a lot of people have their faq's wrong about breeding, sale, trade, etc. Here's the License:
http://www.glofish.com/our-company/license-notice/

Of note is #4 Intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or trade, of any offspring of GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited.

So if they do what nature does that's fine, you just have to keep them, or give them away without receiving anything in return, best place to donate overpop to would be a local school (See #5)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom