Have your fish ever had a disease? Yes/no submit poll.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Disease or no Disease?

• My fish have injured themselves. :-?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have your fish or corals ever been sick. If so please respond with the type of disease. If they jumped please respond. I'm trying to get an accurate measure of what percent of aquarists have to deal with diseases, which is why I want aquarists who haven't dealt with disease to submit a survey.

I have battled the icky ick in the past. Now I have wised up and discovered the benifit of a QT tank. That, and garlic, has helped a lot. I have not seen an ick spot on one of my fish for months. Granted, I have probablly had other diseases and parasites, I just did not know what they were.

The more recently acquired Danios came with Fin Rot, my Yellow Tang came with HLLE (and is just getting over a bacterial infection.. poor guy!), and I've been given Angels (freshwater) which had dropsy.

Admittedly, I did purchase some of the fish from Petco.. :oops:

Fortunately, the diseases were pretty easily cured (minus the dropsy. I'm still kicking myself).

I'd say I've been pretty lucky - many of the fish came from less than ideal conditions (one, I'm ashamed to admit, came before I had a QT tank.. fortunately, I know better now and he didn't bring any disease with him).

It kinda freaks me out that I haven't had to battle any diseases yet. Makes me feel like something is bound to happen. I hope not

Not really. I had almost five years like that, then all of a sudden... Tis the luck of the draw.. of course not getting fish from Petco helps :lol:

I was one of the ones that learned the hard way about qt. :roll:
Now i'm one of the preachers of it. :lol:

Ich, oh, how I hate that stuff! Quarantine those fish, baby! Also, don't buy fish sold from copper treated display tanks. It hurts their immune system if they have been in it long enough, they are probably being treated for ich because they have it, and because many stores don't check copper levels they under medicate and breed copper resistant ich. And quarantine. No skimping, at a bare minimum 4 weeks with zero symptoms before adding fish to the display. Buy a magnifying glass to check your fish out pre-sale and while in quarantine. I don't care if people look at me funny, I've avoided some bad stuff by looking very, very close.

I've had ich, black ich, marine velvet, dropsy, bacteria and fungus - mostly in quarantine. Injured fish - fin nipping, scale nipping, and injured anemones - caught in powerhead due to sponge failure, injured corals - buried by fish or pinched between rocks.

I had a Harlequin Tusk wrasse that slamed into the side of my tank so hard it broke his bottom jaw OFF 8O Freaked me out i dont have a QT but block off part of the tank with egg crate and treated him with melafix ( didnt work ) :cry: :cry:

Back
Top Bottom