I have an interview at Petsmart....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boojumsnark25

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know if this is in the right forum, but I have a couple questions. First of all, has anyone ever worked there? What was it like for you? Would you recommend it? What sort of discount did you get?

Second, I know that at most places, Petsmart included, the number 1 goal is to sell fish. However, if I refused sale every time I thought the fish was going to go to a bad home, I'd never make a sale and get fired in a day. How does one find the balance?

Thanks guys!

I haven't worked for them so I can't help you there.
You can give them the best advice you can and at least give them a more educated purchasing idea. As you have seen, even in this forum, there are people who will ask for advice but still do it their way, they end up wasting money, people's time and a poor animal that has to suffer due to their selfishness. If you won't sell it to them and they want it, they can/will go somewhere else....plus you could direct them here, if they need more help!
Good luck in your interview.

This could be a difficult route if you have strong feelings when it comes to fish keeping. Many customers will ask plenty of questions just answer them the best you. Those in the know aren't any trouble. Stupid customers are a no win situation no explaining or changing their mind. A large segment will be ignorant, they just want to do the best but just don't understand how to achieve this. An explanation will generally be appreciated and often followed as long as they aren't alienated by how the explanation is presented to the customer. I find that overall many that stay in fish keeping become very brash in their hobby and sort of become this is the right way (my way). I see it frequently and I hear it often at many fish places. I honestly like the sale staff that are clueless better. If you think you are going to refuse to sale then don't work in the fish department. I am all for helping out a customer and explaining things but bottom line they are there to buy a fish and you would be there to sell them the product. As a former manager (not in a pet store) I wouldn't have put up with an employee refusing to sale to a customer unless you had a very good reason (they are planning on playing goldfish baseball, etc...) For example if they wanted to do a fish cycle and the explanation of fishless was not excepted then I would expect that the employee would help the customer select some zebra danios and the importance of water changes and test kits. If they didn't want a kit, fine then emphasize frequent water changes. From my experiece large retail discounts aren't that great for employees. I would almost bet that online Petsmart prices would be greater than the employee discount, but maybe you would be allowed both. Good luck on the interview.

Having worked in sales for many years in the past my best advice is to be honest and point them in the right direction and more then likely you will sell them more then what they originally had in mind anyways.

While fish is part of the profit lfs make they make much more on all the other equipment needed to maintain the fish.

Have to agree with Lepomis that this job might not be the best fit if you have a hard time selling (anything really) if it weighs on your conscience since the vast majority will be buying stock based on "how pretty it is" more then anything and only some will actually listen to reasonable advice.

Back
Top Bottom