I just applied for a job!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieBunky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay I have no idea where to put this post so I thought here would be best. I just applied for a job at Maidenhead Aquatics (my lfs, British people know where I mean XD ) & I am absolutely crapping myself! It's an amazing chain of stores with a really good reputation & I'm scared I won't be good enough. I've kept fish for 8 years, have 2 tanks & I've read 2 books, plus a lot of threads, watched videos etc. I don't know what it's going to be like, I just turned 16 & I've never had a job before so I'm really nervous about settling in & what I'll have to do behind the scenes etc.

If anyone has worked at a fish store or have family/friends that do, please let me know what it's like, I'm super nervous but I really want the job, bahh I'm so scared! Thanks :)

Typically British!

Good luck:) Maidenhead Is the only fish store i use great place. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How did the interview go? Did you get the job?
i work in a little independant pet shop in Cumbria and i'm the 'fish expert' as such as i'm the only one that really keeps fish and takes a real interest in the aquatic side of the animal keeping hobby.. and i absoultely love working there!! it's nerve racking at first but then you get in the swing of things and it's amazingly good fun!
:fish2:

Larger companies also take longer I've found. Also I've had where I didn't get a job but they will ring up later say in a few months because they like you for another job.

Bit of a numbers game of just getting the resume out there.

Tight job market here at moment in Australia, wheels are falling off the economy a bit.

It depends how urgent the vacancy needs filling. They may just be waiting for a number of applicants before handing out interviews

Ah that's a good point. I hadn't really thought about that. I've never applied for a job before & I've got no clue about what to expect

Typically British!

Good luck- don't give up or feel bad if
Nothing happens most times people hire people they know- so if you really want to work there do NOT give up or feel bad until you've established some kind of relationship with them, maybe through a class or training they may offer? And apply with the person you know. ;)

I usually go to the same store & every time one of the guys there sees me, he's like "morning Katie" & I just go "morning Toby" XD we're already on first name basis XD so I'm hoping he'll put in a good word for me XD

Typically British!

Wow this is pretty impressive..

I know the aquatics manager at my local Dobbies and am looking for a job there for the summer.
Without trying sounding like a moron, I think they could use me in there ?

Dyou mind saying which branch you're looking at?

Maidenhead aquatics at Booker. I've also applied to their Bourne End store. Yeah I'm the same XD I've also taught Toby a bit, I told him how to sex pretty much every fish in their Booker store XD

Typically British!

Maidenhead aquatics at Booker. I've also applied to their Bourne End store. Yeah I'm the same XD I've also taught Toby a bit, I told him how to sex pretty much every fish in their Booker store XD

Typically British!

Aww, my local one's Bold Heath.
I was hoping to get a discount if you were working there ?

Back
Top Bottom