If Aiptasia Anenomes are animals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose it's like why are most people okay with eating shrimp, but not dog? I guess we have more of a bond with things that are cute and cuddly, and more similar to ourselves. I could smash any of my bloodless or non beneficial inverts all day without a second thought.

I guess we just have more of a bond to things with beating hearts two eyes and a positive reaction to people than we do to something that seems more like plant than animal.

I suppose that's true... though when I think of an aiptasia ducking itself inside the rock when it's scared or responding to human touch or water flow, sometimes I think it's cute....!

Which is probably why I'm gonna stick with freshwater.

Even as a vegetarian myself, we draw lines in our mind as to what's ok to kill and what's not. Everyone has different reasons for their opinions on it: ability to feel pain, intelligence, what we feel it contributes (or harms). But I certainly see your point. When you think about it on a grand scheme: bugs, inverts, dogs, farm animals, fish, etc. why is any of it okay? It's all personal.

Just as a secondary thought about nature... I'm fairly sure that when your fish eat your inverts or your anemone eats your fish, they aren't consumed with guilt. Take the cichlid that destroys the harmless fish that was in it's "territory", and then doesn't eat it, I don't think it considered the feelings of the other fish. Not even a second thought.

Animals don't "suffer" from morality like most humans do though... So not sure this is a fair comparison.

Animals don't "suffer" from morality like most humans do though... So not sure this is a fair comparison.

Agreed... humans have a rational/moral sentience and a responsibility to use it right... just don't always know where to draw the line with animal rights.

This is a very interesting discussion you see people feeding dogs at restaurants etc like members of the family and think nothing of it but replace the dog with a cat or a small fish bowl people would think you were crazy its all about the mind

Because we are the bullies of the planet. What we like stays and what we don't like goes. Some people like majanos and keep them. So maybe there is an aiptasia tank somewhere.

Because we are the bullies of the planet. What we like stays and what we don't like goes. Some people like majanos and keep them. So maybe there is an aiptasia tank somewhere.

Oh there are certainly aiptasia tanks. There are many "pest" tanks over at nano-reef, and probably more on other forums as well.

whats wrong with eating dog?!@

Well, quick answer is you live in the wrong culture. If you look into it you'll find some people actually breed dogs as food, not as pets.

Some people keep pigs as pets, and refuse to eat pork. It's a culture thing.

My personal opinion on the killing pest dilema is thus: Do your best to respect life and minimize suffering. Death is a part of life. It's a cycle. In the wild many animals go through massive die offs on a regular basis. Trust your heart and do your best, thats all we can do.

Pigs are actually smarter than dogs in many cases, so I don't have any ill feelings towards the people who eat dog. Kind of hypocritical to condemn the eating of dog while munching on bacon.

Seeing as no cultures really value the life of the ugly, stinging, invasive aiptasia it is almost universally acceptable to kill them off in droves.

My personal opinion on the killing pest dilema is thus: Do your best to respect life and minimize suffering. Death is a part of life. It's a cycle. In the wild many animals go through massive die offs on a regular basis. Trust your heart and do your best, thats all we can do.

I think this is well-said.

How about culling deformed/hybrid fry? Or, those that just don't meet the requirements of the breeder. How does that fall in to your thoughts?

I don't agree with it, I would keep them and just not sell them, unless it seemed like they were in pain, then I'd euthanize them humanely.

I dont agree with culling those that aren't 'nice' enough looking to sell... but I do agree with culling deformed or hybrid fish. Neither are going to better the hobby. Deformed fish, like balloon fish for instance, don't live the life that those without deformities do. They could be in pain, but who knows. Hybrid fish, unless bred for specific purposes (to better the environment for instance), are also something I'm totally against.

Back
Top Bottom