Multiple tank syndrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdood81

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I need help!!! My boyfriend and I live together. When he first started with fish I was all for it- totally supportive because I like fish as well. But now he wants too many tanks that I feel we can afford and maintain. What should I do???
Thanks!!!

Find a new boyfriend lol joke there is no known cure for mts all I can suggest is getting a huge aquarium instead of alot of smaller ones

It is a very addictive hobby. I started with a 20g and within one year have 5 tanks ranging from 20g to 90g. Have him settle on one large tank. That should make him happy. Hopefully.
For me it is 25 years later and I have over 200 hundred tanks and my hobby has become my job. Would'nt have it any other way. Good Luck

Lol so no cure? It's just that we already have 5 tanks and now he is wanting a discus tank. You guys never experienced any neglect of the tanks because of how many you have?

I'm not sure I can get him down to one because we have salt and fresh water, and aggressive fish. I love them I just feel more tanks is too much

Xoxofish said:
I'm not sure I can get him down to one because we have salt and fresh water, and aggressive fish. I love them I just feel more tanks is too much

What are your tanks, and stocks in them? Just interested

I just say thin the heard do one large salt and one large fresh and then maybe a discus tank and sell the fish that won't get along

I had 10 or more at one point but after I got my big tanks I sold them all and put all that money into them had lots of money to have all the things I wanted

I have:Nano cube-1 clown fish. 55 gal- 1 jack Dempsey. 35 gal- 2 yellow tang, 1 fire shrimp, 1 coral beauty. 40 gal- 12 demasoni. 20 gal- 3 buffalo goldfish.

Xoxofish said:
I have:Nano cube-1 clown fish. 55 gal- 1 jack Dempsey. 35 gal- 2 yellow tang, 1 fire shrimp, 1 coral beauty. 40 gal- 12 demasoni. 20 gal- 3 buffalo goldfish.

This is what I would do maybe not for you but anyways

Buy 2 80-100 gallon tanks in one have all your saltwater fish

In the other mix your dempsey and demasoni

Keep your 40 for your goldfish

Sell the rest that's just my opinion

Xoxofish said:

Haha well your going to need to upgrade, thats for sure!! But at least a 125 for the tangs, and then sell off the rest

@ryan-peddle- thanks for all the advice! i will talk to him about this because im almost wanting to say "its me or the fish"! jk ;)
i've been contemplating rehoming my salt water fish and my goldfish, but not sure yet what i will do

@gboy66- what is a good way to sell my fish? go to a LFS?

@tmfish- i'm glad that you've had so much success with fish (sounds like atleast). as i am still pretty new to the hobby, what's your advice on keeping fish as healthy as possible?

Ya do to a good lfs, no chain stores. Sometimes youll even get store credit for them. I agree with who ever else said it. One 125 g salt, and one 125 g for discus, angels, etc

@ryan-peddle- thanks for all the advice! i will talk to him about this because im almost wanting to say "its me or the fish"! jk ;)
i've been contemplating rehoming my salt water fish and my goldfish, but not sure yet what i will do

@gboy66- what is a good way to sell my fish? go to a LFS?

@tmfish- i'm glad that you've had so much success with fish (sounds like atleast). as i am still pretty new to the hobby, what's your advice on keeping fish as healthy as possible?

Do your research first on each fish you want to add to your aquarium.
a few good tips are. Have proper filtration on your tank for your tank size and future bioload.
weekly water changes on your tanks.
feed each fish properly
Observe your fish daily.
being that you got the aquarium bug surround yourself with others in the hobby, which you are doing by joining this forum. You we learn alot from people who have been in the hobby for years.
Most of all have fun keeping your fish.
keep in contact if I can help you along in any way.

I too have mts. Just like others recommended, get 2 large tanks for sw and fw. This is the only way.

Back
Top Bottom