My first day behind the scenes at the Two Oceans Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In case anyone is interested :)

I just finished my first behind the scenes shift at the Two Oceans, where I work as a volunteer. Up to now I've just done front of house stuff. I’ll probably get all jaded and bored with this stuff soon enough, but right now everything is new and interesting.

First thing in the morning – went to the office to sign in, and found a penguin standing there, eyeing every body up and down :) Very cute.

Cleaned the tank of a mantis shrimp (the creature of Oatmeal fame) which is apparently the most intelligent of the crustaceans. Had to work with long-stemmed implements, as putting my hand in the water would be a bit dangerous. To quote from that Oatmeal link, mantis shrimp can accelerate to the velocity of a bullet shot from a 22 calibre rifle, and strike with a force of 1500 Newtons. Ouch!

Here he is:
mantis_shrimp.jpg

I also had to keep track of a single fish ( a spotted grunter) in a shoal of many, many others, to help a diver catch it so it could go into quarantine.

And for most of the time, I cut piles and piles of shrimp, squid, and redbait into tiny pieces. This platter was lunch for the giant spider crabs. The big lesson here was that squid eyes squirt fluid all over the place if you don’t watch it. Also, they have little tiny beaks like parrots, I’d never seen those before.
spidercrab_lunch.jpg

Just being in the aquarium is such a pleasure – for example, here’s a glimpse of the White Steenbras in the Kelp Tank:
steenbras.jpg

Anyway, I had fun.

Pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom