Protect your aquarium from earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have you done something to keep your aquarium from falling? Attaching it to a wall with a strap or something? I live in California and we are prone to earthquakes. My number one concern is/are our lives of course but having your tank earthquake proof is one less thing to worry about...

I've been looking for something to earthquake proof my aquariums...but I can't see doing it in a way where I won't see the straps/attachments.

I'm in Cali too...the reason I went with acrylic aquariums...if they go down, they won't shatter like glass.

i3k said:
I've been looking for something to earthquake proof my aquariums...but I can't see doing it in a way where I won't see the straps/attachments.

I'm in Cali too...the reason I went with acrylic aquariums...if they go down, they won't shatter like glass.

I'm thinking of strapping the rim of the tank and screwing it to the wall behind it. So, it is a one big strap from one side to front then to the other side. The strap will not show with the canopy on it. How about strengthening the base?

Earthquake Safe

I did some searching and couldn't find much so I'll post my questions here.

Does anyone earthquake proof their aquariums?

I live in a subduction zone that is supposed to get a major earthquake anytime within the next 50-100 years. Some experts even say we're overdue. We usually have a massive earthquake every 300-400 years, and they've been able to look at Japanese records and confirm our area has these massive earthquakes by tracking the history rogue tsunamis hitting Japan. (Rogue tsunami is a tsunami that hits Japan when there was no earthquakes nearby)

Because we almost never get any real earthquake activity between these massive quakes that are 400 years apart, most people around here don't worry about it. If you look at the "Ring of Fire", the Pacific Northwest is the only area that hasn't had a major earthquake recently.

I do believe we could be in for the "big one" in my lifetime, and I'd like to try and build my aquarium stand so that if my house is still standing my fishtank will be too.

I'll have enough problems with the earthquake and it's effects, I don't want to mourn my fishies at the same time.

So does anyone with aquariums live in active earthquake zones? If so how do you deal with it? What should I look for when buying or building an earthquake safe aquarium stand?

I have this powder that gelatizes water instantly. When the earthquake hits just throw in the powder and poof! Instant suspended animation!

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

I live in the Midwest and we are supposed to get a big one, like bigger than the japan quake. I think that's what you were talking about. We don't usually vet earthquakes around here.... I've only felt one in Chicago (i think it was a 3. 9) it was tiny and I almost crapped my pants, wonder what I'll do in the big one!

I think the best thing to do is to make sure your insurance covers water damage.

I don't think you can truly protect. Perhaps a layer of rubber between the tank and stand to try to absorb sudden shock, but other than that... Probably nothing you can do. Only a very large earthquake would be able to tip a tank, you're more likely to lose the glass due to something else falling on it and breaking the glass.

As the person above says, the only real protection is probably water insurance.

I would be more concerned about the power outage after the quake!!! What good is a tank after a quake if nothing works to keep it alive

Well I use battery backups anyway, earthquake or not. ;) I use them to cover brown outs or cuts during storms near Chicago.

You can get battery operated air pumps or get a generator. It's still a good idea to earthquake proof your tank IMO because even if you have battery operated stuff, a generator or even if there is no power outage but if your tank shattered in to a thousand pieces, those things are useless.

I feel like if you have an earthquake that is powerful enough to break a tank, your tank is going to be the last thing you worry about. I mean, you're going to have structural damages in a big way if that happens.

I would never bother with a battery operated this or that, personally. Not unless I was moving house again.

The battery backup unit (meant for computers) has kept my tanks running for almost two hours, including lights, filters, heaters. The power came back on, so I have no idea how much longer it would be. There's no point (IMHO) buying individual battery powered items unless you need them for mobility.

mfdrookie516 said:
I feel like if you have an earthquake that is powerful enough to break a tank, your tank is going to be the last thing you worry about. I mean, you're going to have structural damages in a big way if that happens.

That's true. That's why if you'll look at the very first post on this thread(last part) I mentioned that to earthquake proof your tank so you won't have to worry about it because you'll have a lot more important things to worry about.

Well I probably won't be sleeping tonight with all the earthquake talk in California today/tonight. The moon is gonna be the closest to earth tonight in 18 years...pay attention to your animals today if they show weird behavior.

Back
Top Bottom