Rant RE: Fairs and Goldfish as prizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Why, why, why?

Please if any of you have any affiliation with any groups or organizations which continue this tortuous activity, PLEASE speak up. Or even if you go to an activity which offers live pets as prizes, speak up to someone in charge.

If you aren't a confrontational person, make a phone call or write a letter to who would be in charge and the others who might make decisions on these things.

Today I was with people who were at a festival, fair activity, over 4th of July and won Goldfish. (I think 2)

They went to the store to get them a container and try to keep them.

Basically they died that night.

Just a reminder to please speak up.

People just do not consider live animals lives. Please be kind but firm, and explain the situations and how horrible it is, especially for teaching children pets are throw aways.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I was little there was a fair in my mall and we won two Budgies. Needless to say that in my opinion giving any live animals as prizes is a horrible practice since they need responsible owners to thrive

Having pets in general requires a lot of responsibility and as thrilled as I was when I was a kid with my birds, many of them won't survive due to their lack of preparedness.

I believe this is similar to chain big box stores. There are good. There are bad. Same with owners. Something being a prize doesn't change that it is something that is valued by people. If they take care of it or not is on them.
Now, I don't think that the goldfish you see will ever last very long...though I've been told some have made mighty find pond fish...but I did win a betta when I was a teenager. A great fish. Even fell into the garbage disposal once during a water change. Had a large gash down its side. Just didn't care and kept on living until I went to college.

I believe this is similar to chain big box stores. There are good. There are bad. Same with owners. Something being a prize doesn't change that it is something that is valued by people. If they take care of it or not is on them.
Now, I don't think that the goldfish you see will ever last very long...though I've been told some have made mighty find pond fish...but I did win a betta when I was a teenager. A great fish. Even fell into the garbage disposal once during a water change. Had a large gash down its side. Just didn't care and kept on living until I went to college.

I love that story with a very excellent ending. That was a tough fish!

Most problems is people are given a fish, even very young children and then kids without parents or financial ability to care for them, and no info on how to take care of them.

I read an article about the GF being thrown away by the vendor /operator after the fair was over and them being found by grounds maintenance crew members, which someone called in people and there was a rescue.

Obviously fish struck a cord with you and you cared for it, live a long life

Yeah, when I was little there was a fair in my mall and we won two Budgies. Needless to say that in my opinion giving any live animals as prizes is a horrible practice since they need responsible owners to thrive

Having pets in general requires a lot of responsibility and as thrilled as I was when I was a kid with my birds, many of them won't survive due to their lack of preparedness.

Wow, Budgies!!!!! Insane. Cool if you wanted to take care of them but dreadful if you didn't.

I had never seen that or rabbits which I read was a prize. Although long back heard of, basically hatchling tiny turtles which were like the size of a half dollar being prizes.

Back
Top Bottom