State/Regional Native Foods...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Daniel and I were talking last night about a Pork Roll sandwich and how you can only find it in New Jersey. You can get them in philly, but I have never seen one in New York. It's also called Taylor Ham...it's like a thick ham....it looks like a thich canadian bacon slice, but it's made from ground pork. It's soooo good.

What foods are native to your neck of the woods?

Let's see.....

How about GOOD fajitas, tacos, burritos, tamales, chili, salsa, tortillas, jalapenos, cabrito, frijoles, and GOOD barbecue!!!!! Any of those found outside of Texas are cheap imitations!!! :D

mmmmm im cravin for hot tamales havent had em in years....frijoles too... curse u fruitbat!!! well good native foods here would be wurse(sausages) and beer.

Since moving to Canada, I can't say I like any native food, or that I have even tried any (not a big steak lover). However, there are tons of great places to eat--Mexican, Chinese, Greek, Vietnamese....
I grew up on Long Island and have never heard of a Pork Roll sandwich or Taylor Ham. When I go home to visit, I always enjoy lots of PIZZA and calzones. I’m very picky though and will only get calzones from one place but there are a few tasty pizza places that I frequent.
While I lived in Moscow, ID, I enjoyed the take-and-bake pizza because you could get the crust crunchy and I liked eating at Mongolian BBQ (okay--neither are native!).
Now I want Italian food. Mmmmmm, I will be making meatballs and spaghetti tonight!

Steamed Blue Crabs! best seafood on the planet, IMNSHO!!! hehehehehe...

Crabcakes, made from lump backfin, Chesapeake blue crab, of course!

Oysters, any way you like 'em.

Striped bass (we call it Rockfish), any way you like it.

Lots more seafood stuff... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh jeeez.....I almost forgot about Gulf of Mexico shrimp, oysters, blue crab, redfish, spotted trout, and red snapper. Thanks for reminding me, corvuscorax!! :D

I'm with cc, crabs crabs crabs, and old bay seasoning. I'm not native to the area, so the influx of crab was quite a shock.

In my native native home, Canada, we're big on fiddleheads (a fern that just sprouted out of the ground and is all curled up), kelp (type of seaweed), and lots and lots of alcohol (I'm Scots-Irish Canadian, not French).

i was born in new orleans so wen it comes to seafood i have to say crawfish and good old fashoned seafood gumbo, now thats good eatin... cant get dat stuff north of da dixie line let alone here in germany, cant complain bout da beer here tho...

Well, corvuscorax and shawmutt have pretty much taken all of the answers here . . . but I don't mind that. I don't like seafood (never acquired the taste - it also just happens that I really love fish when they're alive!) so I don't mind not advocating crabs and the likes. There are some select really good food places (like cities or resteraunts) but I can't really call them regional foods, which is too bad. Oh well!

It is interesting because I am not a fan of typical southern fare that I grew up eating (Virginia ham, in particular!) but I would say that blue crab is my favorite food of all time, bar none. We used to catch them in traps in the Bay and eat them fresh out the water, and though they were scarce for many years they seem to be coming back (fingers crossed..) Virginia peanuts (really, don't laugh) are nothing like what you find in a Planters jar.

*grins* I was born in Brooklyn NY and have always lived within 60 miles or so. Native food to me are:

Bagels, creamcheese n lox
Smoked Whitefish
Chocolate EggCreams
Chocolate Malts
Chopped liver
Tongue sandwiches

Well, you can buy crabs, salmon and tuna right off the fishing boats here, and this is the only place I know of where all the b-b-q places have tofu on the menu :D

Um, salmon would be the big one I guess. Atlantic salmon is just yucky in comparison. We have tons of fresh seafood, huckleberries... *mind goes blank*

I can agree with Holly--they are big in Idaho. My fiancé and I picked them last fall along the Snake River and made cobbler—so tasty!

I can't agree with everything Allivymar wrote, but NY bagels are the BEST!!! My mom has offered to ship them to me (when I lived in ID), but it's not the same :cry:

I have relatives in CA, and whenever we go there, we have to bring knishes and bialis (bee-ah-lees) because they can't get them there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom