Pleco dietary needs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm seeing a really alarming oversight amongst alot of fishkeepers with Plecos.
The trend is to just throw a few algae wafers in after lights out and think that that is enough supplementary food for'em.
Its not... :nono:
Plecs may start off just fine eating algae in the tank and/or algae wafers as juveniles, but as they mature their needs change.
Most Plecs are very opportunistic omnivores*, in other words they'll eat just about anything they can get a hold of but primarily subsist on vegetables/fruits.
A plecs digestive system is designed for a diet high in bulk fiber and low in protein, they need large amounts of vegetable/fruit matter and occasional protein. Their digestive system is designed to handle alot of bulk material to attain a their nutritional needs, they need more than just a few low bulk/high protien algae wafers and whatever food they find leftover or a little algae growing in the tank.
None but the largest tanks could support enough algae to feed even a medium sized Plec, and while enough algae would have bulk it is very low in nutrition.

A Plec without fiber bulk (vegetable/fruit) in his diet, is a Pleco that feels like he's starving most of the time, even if he's getting enough nutrition to survive and grow.

It'd be like be like you getting only a slice of bread per day that has enough calories, protien, fats, sugars and asst'd vitamins for you to survive and grow...
But you'd be horrendously hungry the rest of the time.

Excellent daily vegetable supplements are, romaine, spinach and other leafy green lettuces (Iceberg is very high in bulk but very low nutritionally.) that have been blanched* first, cut/sliced zucchinni, cucumber, sweet potato, broccoli stems, peas and beans (blanched and skinned), and others.
Fleshy fruits of various types can be fed too, Plecs in the wild feed on fruit fallen into river from overhanging trees. Papaya, breadfruit, cantalope/honeydew melon are a few examples, experiment and find what your fish likes.
It takes most Plecs a few feedings to discover and realize these are food, but after that there is no keeping them away. Some fish will even guard these foods to keep other fish away.

I found it very hard when housed with other fish to get such delights as worms and small scraps of cut fish/shrimp, shrimp pellets and other sinking food tablets/pellets down to the plecs.
Other fish can be sooo greedy. :roll:
My solution was to load their zucchinni or cucumber with shrimp pellets, carnivore sticks and so on, like cloves on a ham.
Just attach it to clips or rubberband to a rock or wood, makes it easy for your Pleco to find and eat it.

*As stated above "Most Plecs are very opportunistic Omnivores", but some are primarily carnivore (e.g. Zebras etc) and others (e.g. Panaque ect) require bogwood (Yes, wood!) in their diet to survive.
*Blanching; too quickly prepare a food by placing it in or pouring boiling water over it. Leafy greens 5-30 seconds, or longer for other vegetables, the idea is to wilt or soften the food so its easier to eat.

There are hundreds of different Plecos, please research your specific Plec and its needs thoroughly.
I implore all of you with plecos who do not currently regularly supplement their diet with vegetables/fruit and/or other appropriate food sources to do so, please!
I guarantee you will notice a increase in growth and improved physical appearance :)

There are hundreds of Plecos out there. Not all of them eat algae or veggies. Some are exclusively meat eaters and many, such a Royals, require wood in their diet. My point is to clearly identify your pleco species, which can be difficult, and do the research to feed appropriately. Either way drift wood is always welcome in a pleco tank.

Nice post chile. I currently feed my albino bn plecs a variety of hikari aglae waffers, bioblend bottom feeder tabs, shrimp pellets, cucumber, and romaine lettuce. They love all of it and are growing really fast for the time being. (till they mature more, then their growth will eventually slow down)

-Stewie

I think it's a bit rough around the edges for an article.. it implies that we are uneducated and don't supplement our pleco's diets. I feed mine squash, cucmber, zucchini is his favorite. I think you need to soften the tone a tiny bit.

My golden nugget doesn't eat anything but zucchini and cucumber. :roll: It worries me that he has no variety in his diet. He is healthy but he doesn't grow much.

I'll try the idea of sticking some shrimp or other protein in the cucs and see what he does.

Good post Chile! 8)

I think it's a bit rough around the edges for an article.. it implies that we are uneducated and don't supplement our pleco's diets. I feed mine squash, cucmber, zucchini is his favorite. I think you need to soften the tone a tiny bit.

Of course that would be taken into consideration. Which is why I stated I will get back to him.

When you deal with people at work everyday, and I mean, ALL kinds of people, you learn to look beyond the intentions and concentrate on the information. If the info you need is there... well... the heck with the intentions!

Of course a little "editing" could help ALL of us... :lol:

This is jmo 8)

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, we have a process that we go through before approving articles

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2821

Please submit through any advisor in the future. The reason that we do this is that the articles themselves, are not up for critique by the general membership.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Hey Chile, Thanks for the info. I was one who just threw in some algae wafers to plecs. Now I know better. I'd encourage you to make your info more permanent like a stickie or an article. Seems like a great idea. Work with jchillin and hara to refine it and flesh it out. (y)

my 2 cents. :mrgreen:

im not saying it's not a great article.. just saying to smooth the rough edges a bit.

Big C said:
When you deal with people at work everyday, and I mean, ALL kinds of people, you learn to look beyond the intentions and concentrate on the information. If the info you need is there... well... the heck with the intentions!

Of course a little "editing" could help ALL of us... :lol:

This is jmo 8)

well you have to think about how you present the information to the general public. Sure the information may be perfect... but if it is presented in a manner that leaves a bad taste in your mouth.. you may be less willing to listen and more likely to spit it back out. we ALL deal with PEOPLE in our daily lives... ALL KINDS... as a Student nurse we are learning how to educate people... and we have to learn to speak to them with therepeutic communication... something i am working REALLY hard on. I have a habit of throwing the facts out... hey its the facts im honest... but that's not always the best way to present the information and it is something that I am learning the hard way. The article has great information, and im sure with some editing by the advisors that it may make a great article. I was just saying it was rough around the edges and the communication technique needs to be fixed up a bit before it can be classified as an AA article. This is a friendly community remember?

Back
Top Bottom