USPS shipping foobar!Really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your first mistake

If they can't successfully X ray the boxes they will open them. If they cut it open and cut a couple bags then the box would get damaged and they wouldn't be able to repair it. Also, by shipping the liquid and live fish they would likely confiscate it.

Not my first mistake but thanks for the benefit of the doubt!(I am 50!)(y)

Do others really think the foil faced insulation plays a role?
I have always only shipped with foil faced as it is clearly better and tempature control is pretty important.:whistle:
I don't think even cutting the box open with razors would have got to bags as I have done this before and pack and insulate well above "industry standard" if you know what I mean and understand.
This does deserve merit for a what really happened to my box I have to say.

I use styro lined boxes. I would never think of shipping livestock without a good thermal barrier. Even if I don't have one handy, I'll go to home depot and grab a piece of 1/2" insulation and make one. I also use peanuts for extra insulation. I have shipped this way in the dead of summer and the cold packs are still cold when they get there 30 hours later.
The same goes for winter/heat packs.

Crap... just saw a "brand new" usps conmercial... i hope this doesn't confirm what's been speculated here:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Reading this has me worried about shipping plants to other members now. Need the Pony Express back!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not my first mistake but thanks for the benefit of the doubt!(I am 50!)(y)

Do others really think the foil faced insulation plays a role?
I have always only shipped with foil faced as it is clearly better and tempature control is pretty important.:whistle:
I don't think even cutting the box open with razors would have got to bags as I have done this before and pack and insulate well above "industry standard" if you know what I mean and understand.
This does deserve merit for a what really happened to my box I have to say.
A few months back, I shipped a box "Book rate" because it was filled with books and reading materials, from CA to my home in FL. When it arrived at my home, the maillady tells me there is an extra charge of $26.00. I needed to go to the post office to discuss the issue as she couldn't do anything about it. I go to the PO and the postal manager tells me that there was a binder and other things in the box which disqualified it from book rate. I demanded she open the box right then and there to show me what disqualified the rate as I didn't recall packing anything not reading related. Turned out, the binder was empty because we had taken the pages out of it not being sure if my friend wanted to keep them. It turned out that she did keep them but just put them loose in the box. :facepalm::facepalm::banghead: Then there was 1 potholder also in the box. DISQUALIFIED!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::facepalm: There went my $26.00. :facepalm: So YES, they x-ray the boxes so not declaring what is in the box doesn't help you. I'm curious tho, when I ship lures, I get asked if there is anything dangerous or flammable. I don't get asked about perishable. Does the PO not take perishables or is it that they won't insure perishables? Either way, I guess you just take your chances. No sense trying to hide it. :whistle: If you want to pay the premium, just insure the box for a higher amount than the fish is worth. :blink:

You guys might need to take a read of this...

526 Mailable Live Animals
USPS said:
Specific Requirements by Animal:
Goldfish / Tropical Fish
  • Fish must be held in a securely sealed primary receptacle.
  • Primary receptacle must be cushioned with sufficient absorbent material to take up all liquid in case of leakage.
  • Primary receptacle and absorbent cushioning material must be sealed within waterproof outer (shipping) packaging.

So, Fish bags => Absorbent cushioning material => Waterproof outer layer => Box

My post office has a liquid/perishable sticker. You have to declare it. My PO workers are awsome, and always ask whats swimmin in there this time, lol. But after it leaves there its anyones guess. Ive had overall good luck through the years with usps. But as of recently its been one issue after another. 3 in a row now. I mark all sides LIVE FISH, and declare liquid and perishable. Its frustrating, but what else we got?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Who knows.....

I ask postal lady about it...yes there is some water in the package why do you ask, she says that way if it is leaking they won't freak, but also that if you pack liquids there should be material in the box equal to amount which would absorb damaged liquid package. So puppy pee pads, paper towels, etc, not too sure since mine was a very small amount of water that day was just mailing plants and a few snails, also may go through different machine as not to damage it. They say liquids can damage the major package handling equipment. USPS.

Wasn't sure how to answer on the liquid question due to not knowing the issues.

I started trying to double box for strength.

So you are able to mail liquid if properly packaged, double bagged maybe.

I thank everyone for their input.:thanks:
Nice link Mebbid Thank You!!!
I have used foil faced foam for years now but do believe that this was the route of the trouble this time?:confused:
I will have to settle for "industry standard"(which in my world means poorer quality then most want) and use white styro like everyone else does.:facepalm:
I will hopefully be shipping again soon as I get some foam(worked last 12 days ).

I will also mention , and I am not TRYING to make the USPS look bad but,the package is still actively being tracked and is somewhere between Mass and destination!:facepalm:
We know this can not be true.:whistle:
So Poppa and Brook you will get pms from me soon with new tracking numbers.(y)
Hopefully this week(early) if I can get my act together.;)
I will probably not label the box again with from "Bandit".:rolleyes:
I heard an interesting story about not using your real name for some packages:hide:

Just an FYI: For those of you shipping single bags or small amounts, Uline ( Uline.com) makes a variety of insulated shipping kits that may be better for you than making a box with multiple pieces of styro to put inside another box. What I've seen is a thick walled box with a cardboard outer box to ship in. Truth be told, these boxes ( I have one) are a thicker box that the ones I shipped thousands of, all around the world, so there should be no issues with broken boxes or lost water from leaking bags.
For those shipping larger quantities of bags per box, try going to your local pet shop ( Mom & Pop or Chain) and ask about their boxes they get their fish in. They may have some they are willing to sell you or give you. At some point, they take up a lot of space so they are happy to recoup some of their costs for the boxes and get back some of that space for money makers. For anyone willing to stop by ( I don't have outers to ship them in), I have plenty of these boxes that are taking up too much of my space. :facepalm: CHEAP!! :brows: :whistle: (y)

Hope this helps (y)

I received a box USPS Friday from someone on here without issue , when the mail-carrier read " live fish " on the box he almost wet himself , could not believe there were really fish in the box. He was so gentle with the box when he handed it to me , after coming half way across the country and bounced around in how many shipping hubs by different machines , conveyer belts and sets of hands I thought it was a little humorous that he handed it to me the way he did.

No casualties on it's arrival though.

I pray for such an episode as above!
Poppa and Brook you are not forgotten but life has gotten in my way of fish again.
I have foam and will hopefully ship Mon to both of you!
I could ship tomorrow(Sat), but feel Mon is a better shot for all of us.
Poppa say how many you WANT not need(for real!).
Brook one of my best males for you unless I hear differently!
I am sorry for my "timming" but also feel the best things in life are worth waiting for?
This has to work out eventually as I would not have made it this far (breeding rams )and many other facets of life if I gave up every time I faced adversity.

Never said this before... I'll take your finest male!!!!

Never said this before... I'll take your finest male!!!!

images

images

images

I hope I don't screw up and send you a female!
You need a man baby!(never thought I would say that!)

Ill take as many as you wanna send me, my friend. I gots plenty of room for them. Sadness, but the 150 just doesnt look the same without em in there. Thanks again. Its greatly appreciated.

Hahah.. yahhh babyy! She's randy

Ill take as many as you wanna send me, my friend. I gots plenty of room for them. Sadness, but the 150 just doesnt look the same without em in there. Thanks again. Its greatly appreciated.

I pray to be able to ship Monday as I hope to work local(not 3+ hours round trip daily like last week!) and send you a bunch dude!
Some from the Yellow line also!
QT my fish P as I am not sure if the yellows are tough on each other or what?
I have lost 3 from the 30b over the last 4 weeks that I can not put my finger on(think the males are "taking care of business" IMO)but.......
B don't be nervous as the male for you will come from a great set of fish that have been in a 33long for the last 3 months(completely separated from all others) and look to the next batch of "keepers" for my breeding stock.
They are a great looking fast growing bunch!
I have not seen a GBR last more then 2 +years yet myself so I am looking to re new my breeding line and will probably be ordering from Yunite again this season to mix in my lines again.
Thanks to both of you for your patience!
Hope it pays off for all of us!

Sent two packages this am!:flowers:
White foam not foil faced,labled live fish.:angel:
The woman at ps asked if I needed any special handling and had no other questions?:blink:
She was very surprised my other box did not make it and said the foil faced foam should not have been the problem???:confused:
Then she said I should file claim online for full $50 (after asking what my fish would cost to replace).:eek:
I will see how this all turns out.:whistle:
She seemed surprised the box made it from Mass to Ga only to be returned with no water damage on the top....:fish2:
She seemed even more surprised when I said the package is still being tracked.:eek:
IT IS STILL BEING TRACKED TODAY( ask Poppa as he has the first tracking number and even 1 minute ago it is still somewhere between Mass and destination!!!):banghead:
I really hope Brook and Poppa get their fish !!!!!!:dance:

You should drive to where the package is supposed to be and see if you can pick up your fish :) Just kidding but that would be fun.

Dude..if they can't get it here?? I would have picked it up myself but phish isn't playing spac this year:p

Back
Top Bottom