What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderfull shrimps You got.

Now my Bee shrimps are acclimatet. As start I lost twoo. But I done the first WC. 10 Liter. I found some small shrimplets in the gravel of filter. Also past suction the sand. They have no color. May be the colore comes later.

Some color will come as they get older.

Depending upon the substrate color they tend to be more pale when on lighter sand and stones, and more vibrant with a black, or darker substrate.(y)

How exciting about the babies! :dance:

If you have a hang on the back filter, is there a prefilter sponge on it? You can make a barrier with filter pad, or a sponge on the intake to keep them safe from getting sucked into the filter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```

Tomorrow I will load a couple pics.

They got acclimated to the water and then are swimming around looks all well so far.

We will have to try counting them tomorrow too amongst the other big bunch of shrimp which were already in the tank.

Removed a bunch of small MTS from that tank and did a 3G pwc.

And was excited to see there were a number of nicely berried Golden Bees and Red Bolts. The Pencilfish are gone and should have better fry survival this time!

It's a DIY filter. Just gravel. Grains 6 to 8 mm.
For the weekly cleaning, I pour the gravel into a bowl. In a small amount of the same water. I keep the first broth. There are young shrimp in it.
The filter gravel is then washed with tap water.
When vacuuming the sand, young shrimp are also drawn into the suction.
I decant the suction water. I take care that no shrimp are spilled.
I pour the last of the dirt with the vacuumed shrimp and the broth from the filter gravel into a white bowl and turn the water.
There is a pile of dirt in the middle. I suck it off with a thin hose (air hose).
I swish the clean water and the small shrimp and pour it back into the tank.
As with my other shrimp. But with more caution.

Crazy week.

So busy.

Got the 2 pwc's on the bigger tanks
60% on the 72G
and 50% on the 80G

Still doing same routine pwc with the PRL shrimp

PWC on wine glass and 12G Edge.
30G Waterbox was a couple days earlier.

But all done except the SW, which is getting one tomorrow.

Then off to the lfs for some more RO and SW.

Got some Guppies and Endlers rehomed.

I have someone coming for a gob of Hornwort. Then I would also be taking a pile down to the lfs.

In the backyard under the deck were probably 10 small containers, Trenta Starbucks cups and buckets with some plants, Hornwort, moss and things which were removed during maintenance or shutting down a tank, or moving things around.

Now I have one small cup of Hornwort (just to make sure there isn't any hair algae on it - it was dark when I got to that container, lol) and a 3G jar of misc plants and snails. All else was put away. 3 bags of substrate all dried now and rezip bagged for the future.

Emptied the kid pool of soaking DW and put it away. The driftwood Cypress knees went out to be a yard decoration for awhile.

The double log went to the 80G it is still floaty, one side has a hole all the way through and since it is horizontal rather than like a tree grows vertically, the Yoyo loaches are having fun swimming through it and nom-ing on the slime coat from sitting in still water.

The newest one which was for the new 12G Edge, I tried to temporarily add to the old Edge but couldn't get it in there with the filter on the tank, for sure and maybe not at all :blink: We'll see, but I didn't have time to take the filter off all the way.

It is in the 80G to wait out the new 12G Edge tank start, maybe even tomorrow.

Shopped for a new / used cube or other rimless SW tank but nothing matched up all the way. Had one a little bit close. But I didn't "love" it, so I probably should wait till the "love it" feeling hits, and it is cheap enough to afford.

All new Bee shrimps seem to be doing well.

Also picked up 3 more Glass Cats and 6 Silver Hatchets from a local hobbyist changing his tank inhabitants, these are for the 72G. All seem to be doing okay!

Today I put in a request from a seller for some special fish. appx. 20 hyphessobrycon wadai very rare to find for sale around where I live. So hoping it works out. They will be for the 72G if it works out.

My other shrimp tanks
102018-albums14463-picture72716.jpg
102018-albums14463-picture72715.jpg

Thanks for greetings!

50% pwc. My water pump that I use to perform pwc died, so I just used the regular drain method... Took a lot longer to drain, filled faster.

A Dwarf Gourami got stuck behind the filter intake and died a couple days ago. So now I'm down to only one.

I didn't see the Amano shrimp this time, but the Trumpet Snails are proliferating.

Last edited by a moderator:
My other shrimp tanks
102018-albums14463-picture72716.jpg
102018-albums14463-picture72715.jpg

Thanks for greetings!

Wow, lots of shrimp and the Madagascar Lace is beautiful too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been keeping up on pwc's, did the 30G Waterbox 35G (in 3 rounds) sand vac and water change in preparation for the NEW fish!

Hyphessobrycon Wadai / Wadai Tetra / Blueberry Tetra - not to be confused with colored glofish. These come from the upper Rio Tapajos River Brazil. Described and named around 2016 (though seems was kept in Brazil before that). Made available from breeding in Germany (called Blackberry Tetra) to the aquarium trade mainly starting in 2018. Named in honor of Luis Wadai of Brazil.

This is a still rarely found fish in the USA. This group came originally from Wetspot (purchased by me from another hobbyist).

They are subtly beautiful and already showing / getting their color back after a tough morning getting captured which required the draining of their tank
:eek: and driven around for a couple hours. There were around 23 one baby was tilting sideways and didn't seem to make the transition of capture well. It did swim only to float like it was dead again. So not likely gonna make it. All the rest are lively and a bit shy if they think I am trying to get a pic of them!

Here in the video you can see the hint of blue in a couple of the new fish. And also happy to see the Dwarf Pencilfish come out! I caught all but 2 males Guppy/Endlers I think you can see them maybe too.

https://youtu.be/mMJVVDTbhmY
Better pics than mine
https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-archives/hyphessobrycon-wadai-2/

These are really active fish and I used self sticking plastic wrap over the top of the tank to keep them from jumping out as I was told they are active fish and jump during feeding. He would literally stand in front of his tank and try and catch the jumpers while they ate, hahaha.

After they QT they will go to the 72G. It will be kinda stocked then. The 72G already has all the gaps taped up because of the Hatchet fish. I was told they will eat small fish, so I will make a 2 week effort to rehome the Endlers and Guppy mommas and babies.

The Wadai, might eat the future babies (was told they ate small Chili Rasboras), which would help keep the population down. So we'll see.

There about 5 pretty tail, sharp mommas which I would like to keep but won't if the population isn't kept in check. The lfs doesn't want many.

Got a bunch of pics to add tomorrow or the next day. Beautiful Bee shrimp, and some SW mainly.

Getting close to tank goals. Probably 3 more months out yet, but close. There is a regional hobbyist raising beautiful Red Fancy Tiger shrimp and I will get some in the future!!!

Also the SW hunt for the right tank continues!

One of the local Hobbyists is breeding Bronze Cories and I might pick up some of their next batch. I want to change the Eco complete in the front of the tank to sand soon.

Maybe a few more Hatchets too. I was told they aren't imported / wild caught and only raised on farms here USA... not sure about it. They are Silvers but really look gold, goldish/silver.

Last edited:
Shrimp party, social distancing?

60074-albums14792-picture72720.jpg

Appetizers and snacks at the prefilter

60074-albums14792-picture72721.jpg

Algae all you can eat salad bar - all the rage these days in the shrimpy circles

60074-albums14792-picture72723.jpg

Please pardon the blur to get the closer crop

60074-albums14792-picture72722.jpg

Filet of Cuttlebone for the main course

60074-albums14792-picture72724.jpg

Rush for the dessert bar

60074-albums14792-picture72725.jpg

Entertainment...

Levitating shrimp act - booking dates still available for the holidays
60074-albums14792-picture72726.jpg

Hope this could brighten your day /evening! (y)

These pretty and active shrimp brighten mine.

Last edited:
Spent some time separating some items to get rid of locally, and have a ton more to as well.

Fishes and shrimps are looking well, it is time for water changes too. Did the wine glass yesterday 2 gallons, 1G a few days prior and 1G yesterday. I use the pwc water for watering the plants.

My 3G glass moss jar was getting some die off due to mineral crusts forming on and around the DW and the edges. Decided to give it a clean out. So much better now!

Did a refresh for the Isopods containers as well. A bunch of autumn leaves from the trees and some bark chunks. They completely chewed up and "composted" the previous to dust.

60074-albums14780-picture72733.jpg

60074-albums14780-picture72737.jpg

60074-albums14780-picture72728.jpg

This pic of the moss jar back in April.
60074-albums12102-picture72555.jpg

Then before refreshing - crispy crunchy "burned"

60074-albums12102-picture72729.jpg

After refresh and rinsing / putting in the same exact type but different jar.

60074-albums12102-picture72727.jpg

Trading some plants for some Golden Mystery Snails here in town.

~~~~~~~
Going to do a SW pwc and buy a new food at the lfs, as well as a frozen food for the Mandarin Goby plus RO and SW.

Order some food and deworming flake food online as well, pretty much used up all my empty packages! So we can start with some fresh stuff.

Got to see a bunch of my PRL shrimp all together yesterday and found there are really still 14 shrimp. I always freak out when I can't see more ten!

There were these plus the other 4 in the tank, Whew!
60074-albums14810-picture72738.jpg

Basic stuff, got some foods - 2 frozen and pellets of Fluval Bug Bites Color Enhancing Community food and same ole Hikari omnivore wafers and Crab Cuisine.

They didn't have NorthFin at either store I went to, so I will maybe buy it online. Read through some of the types they offer and it seems some of my favorite ingredients are in there. It says no fillers but they seem to have wheat flour in many of them...??? But the other stuff in there is good and I already have foods with wheat and the fish are okay.

Got the dozen Golden Mystery snails from a local hobbyist who had a half grown clutch. They are awesome and busily cleaning all over the place! I had one in the 12G shrimp tank, 3 in the 30G Waterbox, and the rest in the 72G.

Did the extra pwc amount on the PRL tank. Added 5 Alder Cones. Fed a bit of Snow and a food I found in the back of the drawer, I forgot about. New unopened.

Got the SW and RO water.

Found my Salty Shrimp re-mineralizer and have to double check which one I have vs. which one I need.

Have to get some of the dried leaves (gradually added) into all the tanks. Banana, Guava, IAL, 2 Oak types and a couple Maple types.

PWC day!

3G on 12G Edge moved the cleaned up Bolbitis and put in the Amazon Sword for some cleaning in the shrimp domain. Removed about 40 MTS.

40G on the 80G Innovative Marine, cleaned and added new filter pad media to capture floating debris, polishing filter and nitrate filter pad (coarse pad).

15G on the 30G FW Waterbox

80G - 2 x 40G on the 72G bowfront Cleaned the polishing filter pad on the AC 110 filter. Tank where the Bolbitis went.

2G on Wine Glass

.75G on the PRL shrimp cleaned the prefilter

1.5G on the 5G Spec V QT tank

all but the SW. but added SW and RO because it wasn't full from the last pwc when I was out of SW water

Keeping busy and sooooooo strong hauling the added water to the tank from buckets.

Found 2 Mystery snails on the floor in front of the 30G Waterbox tank. They squiggled under the plastic wrap. I am having a house project taking up my time this week but will be getting the actual thinner but a little weighty acrylic to make a cover. Will order the clips tonight.

The Mandarin Goby will come out to the side of the tank to get fed when he's hungry. I am so thankful he will eat regular foods. I am using frozen Marine Cuisine and similar foods along with some prepared baby Brine shrimp. There are pods as well, and I get them delivered periodically along with phytoplankton for the pods, lol, never ends the dollars one can spend.

Yesterday spent some time looking at online Bettas for sale. There were about 4-5 real beauties I found. Too busy atm, so if they are still around this next week.... maybe will order something. Maybe not. This is the time of year I like to get something because the weather is still not too bad. Since there are no auctions with CAS locally this year, checking more online things out!

Still looking locally for sale used, (1 ideal) SW tank.

Found 2 Mystery snails on the floor in front of the 30G Waterbox tank. They squiggled under the plastic wrap. I am having a house project taking up my time this week but will be getting the actual thinner but a little weighty acrylic to make a cover. Will order the clips tonight.

The Mandarin Goby will come out to the side of the tank to get fed when he's hungry. I am so thankful he will eat regular foods. I am using frozen Marine Cuisine and similar foods along with some prepared baby Brine shrimp. There are pods as well, and I get them delivered periodically along with phytoplankton for the pods, lol, never ends the dollars one can spend.

Yesterday spent some time looking at online Bettas for sale. There were about 4-5 real beauties I found. Too busy atm, so if they are still around this next week.... maybe will order something. Maybe not. This is the time of year I like to get something because the weather is still not too bad. Since there are no auctions with CAS locally this year, checking more online things out!

Still looking locally for sale used, (1 ideal) SW tank.

Sometimes apple snails go out of the water because they want to spawn. You then go back inside.
The clutch was on the lamp housing, where it is warm. Sometimes they were yellow, but there were also red ones.

Sometimes apple snails go out of the water because they want to spawn. You then go back inside.
The clutch was on the lamp housing, where it is warm. Sometimes they were yellow, but there were also red ones.

Good point. That tank water level seems high, if I leave it lower the Mystery snails might spawn!

Baby pic from October 29 first saw new baby on the 28th!
60074-albums14810-picture72751.jpg

Today, a new baby came out to explore - a week difference!!!
60074-albums14810-picture72749.jpg

Picking up 20 nice orange Neocaridina shrimp (juveniles) babies today $2.00 each but have to drive about an hour each way!!!

Think I have a home for another group of Guppy/Endlers!!!

The Planted+ light (~4 years old) on one of my tanks started burning out, so I treated myself to a Fluval Planted 3.0, having heard so may good things about them. Just set it up, and it's a bit yellow for my tastes, but I imagine that's a function of playing with the settings on the app.

That same tank has also become a train wreck: the plants of stopped growing and it looks like a cladophora algae farm. I think it's "old tank syndrome." Also, it hasn't helped that I've succumbed to a bit of lockdown and post-retirement depression, leading me to neglect tank maintenance. :ermm:

I've considered breaking it down, scrubbing it, and restarting, but I'm also thinking of moving out of state next spring (or in 2022), and I've been pondering whether it's even sensible to start new tanks. Maybe, if I set a date in '22.

Here in the foreground I tried to plant baby tears for a long time.But they kept floating to the surface.

DSC-0352.jpg

The Planted+ light (~4 years old) on one of my tanks started burning out, so I treated myself to a Fluval Planted 3.0, having heard so may good things about them. Just set it up, and it's a bit yellow for my tastes, but I imagine that's a function of playing with the settings on the app.

That same tank has also become a train wreck: the plants of stopped growing and it looks like a cladophora algae farm. I think it's "old tank syndrome." Also, it hasn't helped that I've succumbed to a bit of lockdown and post-retirement depression, leading me to neglect tank maintenance. :ermm:

I've considered breaking it down, scrubbing it, and restarting, but I'm also thinking of moving out of state next spring (or in 2022), and I've been pondering whether it's even sensible to start new tanks. Maybe, if I set a date in '22.

Congrats on retirement, which means something new to find to do.

Unwanted Algae is the pits!

Just getting a series of aggressive pwc's might do wonders. I need to buy a faucet (with appropriate fitting) I can fit the Python on, I know I would do more pwc's on the big tanks.

Here in the foreground I tried to plant baby tears for a long time.But they kept floating to the surface.

DSC-0352.jpg

It looks good, and the BN Plecos are beautiful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Well had a really awesome online CAS / club meeting tonight. Miss the in person fish talk. Hobbyist Beta Mahatvaraj from India came online and gave a personal presentation and answered questions. He has a youtube channel
Meenkaran and his mission is to share about native fish of India. Wow, there were so many beautiful fish. He was an incredible fountain of information.

A a couple nights ago I picked up a new little CPO, a male Cambarellus patzcuarensis 'orange', I would have got a female if one were available, but no.

60074-albums11380-picture72755.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture72756.jpg

A piece of Spiderwood which as some interesting features and lots of roots I want to wrap around a stone I have or might need to fine one a bit thinner to fit in the clasp of the roots.

The Hyphessobrycon wadai Tetras are doing well. Here are a few pics.

60074-albums11380-picture72759.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture72758.jpg

close up a female I think - oops, haven't cleaned out the hair algae for a couple weeks. The bright light washed out the color. Sometime in the near future I will try for the amazing colors when the lights are dimmed and the fish are vibrant. Even the Pencilfish are looking great!
The spots are snails or I didn't wipe all the glass that well.
60074-albums11380-picture72754.jpg

And I got the Orange shrimp which were teensy. Not sure how many made it yet.

And got a bunch of maintenance done on the Springtails and Isopods enclosures /cultures. Plus watched the fish and shrimp a little.

Last edited:
Well I shockingly caught 72G and 30G aquarium lights on in the middle of the night! Somehow, an how??? Did I program the lights when I didn't do it? Very strange. But for sure helps explain why more algae is growing, when I had been keeping the light on for much less time and on the liwer setting. :eek:

Now I will be forced to learn how to program it.

Wonderful orange crayfish. I had 10 pieces. They was
DSC-0932.jpg
less and less. There was no remains.

That means: cannibals.

Back
Top Bottom