What to do with dead fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adeebm said:
I've buried a couple larger fish outside, but I usually flush. Goes back to nature either way. If you've ever been to a sewage treatment facility, they have huge pools where bacteria break down any organic matter, and then water is filtered and treated. Wouldn't worry about disease, if it's good enough to stop E. coli in human feces then it'll stop and fish diseases too.

--Adeeb

In some countries it is illegal to flush a fish, dead or alive.

Whenever one of his scorpions or tarantulas passes away, he freezes them and then puts them in a resin mold (like those necklaces or key chains).

I cannot even imagine. Nope, couldn't do it. I just wouldn't have the stomach for it, and I've got a really strong stomach.

My fave pets get buried in the back yard. That way, I can still speak with them.

I always have my photography as a way to remember those lost, too.

I think I'd probably bury the fish and then plant a flower over it... Dead fish make good fert so its like it gave its life so something else could live?

But thats me. I go for the naturalistic approach whenever I can.

The unwanted fish parts, yes. There are still practices of this in small scale farming with many groups of people.

It does take a bit of a stomach. I never had an issue with dead things unless they smell like rot. Like, in anatomy class back in high school, I loved to disect animals. I was the only kid who didn't wear gloves. haha. Tried to get my hands on some good quality formaldehyde to make my own specimen jars, but that turned to be incredibly illegal.

I wouldn't worry about flushing down diseased animals. I mean, what we have in our native creatures can be just as bad as our pet ones, humans being even worse. Introduction of diseases probably doesn't occur anymore, at least I wouldn't think. It's not like whatever your fish had is the first time it's ever entered the sewage system.

To be fair, I know about how water treatment works in the US, but not in other countries. I agree that here I would not be concerned at all about introducing disease by flushing.
Also, not everybody lives in a house, so some people have limited options. I was bummed back when we lived in an apartment and I couldn't bury my fish and guinea pigs after they died.
Now that I rent a house, I either flush them or plant them. I will have to bury my angels somday because they are so big. I personally couldn't do a resin mold. I am ok dealing with dead animals unless I named them, then I can't do it.

Yeah, apartment dwellers tend to think its suspicious when their neighbors are wandering around with shovels!

haha. Might be a bit suspicious.

I couldn't do the resin mold with my big fish... It would just be weird. I think I'll do that with my smaller fish though.

That's the plan. Stuff/bury the big ones and put in a mold the smaller ones.

Ahh. I should bury the carcass of fish that i have fileted under the plants rather than tossing them back in the water. Either way its used tho bc back in the water it becomes food

Well, I found a price list off of this site: Fish Taxidermy - Fish Mounts - Fish Replicas - Fish Taxidermist

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"FISH TAXIDERMY[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] - ([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Skin Mounts[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif])
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 1. Freshwater Fish (Wall Mount) - $15.00 inch
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] $225.00 minimum.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 2. Freshwater Fish - (Pedestal Mount) 2 Sides
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] $15.00 inch - Plus 50[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]%[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] extra.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 3. Trout, Salmon, Some Saltwater Fish (Wall Mount) - $15.00 inch
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] $225.00 minimum.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 4. Trout, Salmon, Some Saltwater Fish - (Pedestal Mount) 2 sides
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] $15.00 inch - Plus 50[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]%[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] extra."[/FONT]

So, it will be expensive. But, considering he is a $60 fish at three inches and will be worth much more if I had bought him at full grown. Comparatively speaking, I don't think this is that expensive.

I will e-mail them to see what they say. They will most likely think I'm crazy. But, I can always find someone local.

Skin mounts would be extremely, extremely difficult with a fish that size. I would look into a company which will do a casting of it and make a synthetic replica, will be cheaper, and last a lifetime. Skin mounts, especially small ones or fish with oily skin, fall apart after some time.

I would also look into a habitat mount, so it looks a bit less like a trophy you yanked out of the lake ;)

EDIT: Just looked at the website you linked and they charge more for fiberglass replicas...strange... this seems to be the trend in the industry, I suppose they are a more profitable venture nowadays than skin mounts. When I was working in the field fiberglass was a much cheaper way to go.

I have been thinking about this. I have a 10 ur old plecto and a 8 yr old golden saun. My two oldest and dearest fish. I know they can't last forever. I am thinking of having them mounted when they pass. But I heard that just a wax mold of them.

Skin mounts would be extremely, extremely difficult with a fish that size. I would look into a company which will do a casting of it and make a synthetic replica, will be cheaper, and last a lifetime. Skin mounts, especially small ones or fish with oily skin, fall apart after some time.

I would also look into a habitat mount, so it looks a bit less like a trophy you yanked out of the lake ;)

EDIT: Just looked at the website you linked and they charge more for fiberglass replicas...strange... this seems to be the trend in the industry, I suppose they are a more profitable venture nowadays than skin mounts. When I was working in the field fiberglass was a much cheaper way to go.

I e-mailed the guy/company to see what he says and next week at Thanksgiving, I'll ask around my family. I have lots of hunters and fishers, somebody has to know someone!

And the habitat mount is a great idea. I will keep that in mind.

I have been thinking about this. I have a 10 ur old plecto and a 8 yr old golden saun. My two oldest and dearest fish. I know they can't last forever. I am thinking of having them mounted when they pass. But I heard that just a wax mold of them.

Well, hopefully this thread will help you out!

You can have a mount that is their skull and skin, with stuffing inside and then they paint the scales to look how they did in real life. Or, you can have a replica made out of fiberglass or wood. There are probably some other options out there too, but this is what I have found so far.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I e-mailed the guy/company to see what he says and next week at Thanksgiving, I'll ask around my family. I have lots of hunters and fishers, somebody has to know someone!

And the habitat mount is a great idea. I will keep that in mind.

Well, hopefully this thread will help you out!

You can have a mount that is their skull and skin, with stuffing inside and then they paint the scales to look how they did in real life. Or, you can have a replica made out of fiberglass or wood. There are probably some other options out there too, but this is what I have found so far.

It has. I just hope the type don't come in handy any time soon.

Of course, same here. I actually feel kind of bad talking about this. Sebastian, my FH, is watching me right now. He might suspect something.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Of course, same here. I actually feel kind of bad talking about this. Sebastian, my FH, is watching me right now. He might suspect something.

Lol. Well party boy. The golden saun follows me overtime I am near the tank. He trys to attack every oneelse. Which may be his end. He hits the glass crazy hard sometimes. And the enforcer, my plecto, well he is indestructible...

Back
Top Bottom