When looking at other people's tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate coming to visit my mother in law and seeing her heavily overstocked 14g every other day. She knows nothing about fish and refuses to read up on the stuff. Makes me want to cry. I do secret water changes on her tank everytime she leaves her house...

Another thing that ticks me off is when I'm in the LFS and see at least one rotting fish per tank, and the rest of the fish showing signs of sickness.

Fake plants... Like the really fake looking ones. Those bother me. Or tacky coral reef decor.

Bubbles of air in the background!!! Can you tell I'm a little OCD? Lol.

I don't like bright coloured gravel for a substrate. I prefer sand/dirt or natural looking gravely pretty much anything that doesn't look natural makes me mad

I usually look at other people's tanks and either feel really good about my own, or insanely jealous of theirs. :D

I don't like bright coloured gravel for a substrate. I prefer sand/dirt or natural looking gravely pretty much anything that doesn't look natural makes me mad

+1 I hate looking at a tank with bright orange gravel.

I love to look at other people's fish tanks. The great majority of them are awesome and so much better than mine, but once in a while, I see stuff that make me go, "Why??". Nothing big, just little pet peeves like:

1. A low water level for no reason, like 2 to 5 inches below the edge of the tank. I'm all like, "Why you no fill tank up all the way to the top???"

2. No background. My brain be like, "Why you no put background?! Why you like looking at filter and cords and ugly wall behind tank??"

3. One tetra. "Why you no give him buddies??"

Lol

What are your pet peeves about other people's tanks (or your own)?

Ditto to all three! B-)

Makes me want to cry. I do secret water changes on her tank everytime she leaves her house...

I could just hug you right now!

Ik I'm going a little of topic here but how do I keep my sand so clear of waste like other peoples tanks even after I do a water changer there's still waste somewhere that ticks me off. Also how do I get my water crystal clear like everyone elses !?

Ik I'm going a little of topic here but how do I keep my sand so clear of waste like other peoples tanks even after I do a water changer there's still waste somewhere that ticks me off. Also how do I get my water crystal clear like everyone elses !?

I had murky tannin-y water and added purigen and it became crystal clear

So u suggest adding purigen? Does it work for all fish?

I think it simply sucks up the colors and stuff in the water. I am pretty sure it is safe for all fish. You put it in your filter and once it turns brown you put it in a bleach solution to make it good again. It is a Seachem product so look on their website.

On a super zoomed in scale, it is like a sticky ball that the colors and stuff stick to and the bleach separates the colors from the sticky ball

Here are a few possible causes for unclear water. Tannins, as mentioned. Do you have driftwood or Indian almond leaves in your tank?

Algae in the water. Do you run your lights more than 8 hours a day/have natural light shining on your tank/over-feed your fish?

When you change your water- are raking/stirring the sand before you siphon to ensure the waste and debris is able to be sucked up?

How much water do you change and how often? It may not be enough to prevent a build up of dissolved solids.

Do you have adequate circulation, or are there 'dead' spots where waste accumulates?

Do you have filter wool/floss (polyfibre) in your filters to remove fine particles?

Is your filtration adequate? Absolute minimum IMO is 4x the tank volume every hour (40g tank = 160g/hr filtration)

Are you overstocked? Try Aqadvisor to check.

How often do you clean your filters and how do you do it?

Probably more questions, but it's 1.30am here and my brain is dead. Lol

Here are a few possible causes for unclear water. Tannins, as mentioned. Do you have driftwood or Indian almond leaves in your tank?

Algae in the water. Do you run your lights more than 8 hours a day/have natural light shining on your tank/over-feed your fish?

When you change your water- are raking/stirring the sand before you siphon to ensure the waste and debris is able to be sucked up?

How much water do you change and how often? It may not be enough to prevent a build up of dissolved solids.

Do you have adequate circulation, or are there 'dead' spots where waste accumulates?

Do you have filter wool/floss (polyfibre) in your filters to remove fine particles?

Is your filtration adequate? Absolute minimum IMO is 4x the tank volume every hour (40g tank = 160g/hr filtration)

Are you overstocked? Try Aqadvisor to check.

How often do you clean your filters and how do you do it?

Probably more questions, but it's 1.30am here and my brain is dead. Lol

1:A:I do not have drift wood in my tank
2:A: no my lights r run 4-6 hours a day currently no algae
3:A:yes I skim the sand and lift some decor to make sure it shiponed
4;A: I change 20 percent 1-2 times a week
5: A: yes there are some "dead spots when the filter pushes it and settles somewhere
6:A: not sure what that means. But in have a aqueon aqua-clear 40 gal filter
7:A:no currently not over stocked
8:A: I rinse my filter to get all the waste out and put it back nj that's what I've been told to do

Hey, well done! That was quite a barrage of questions :)

Brace yourself- more are coming. Lol

Are you rinsing your filter media with dechlorinated water?
Floss looks like cushion/pillow stuffing.
What size is your tank?
What are the tank's inhabitants?
What, and how often do you feed?
Is the cloudiness suspended particles or more of a whitish (not a real word, but hey!) haze?

I'm sure when I've properly woken up and had a nice strong coffee I'll be a little more use to you. Ok, not so sure, but hoping ;)

Makes me want to cry. I do secret water changes on her tank everytime she leaves her house...

I could just hug you right now!

Haha what can I say, I'm an animal lover, but mothers in law are "always right"!

Hey, well done! That was quite a barrage of questions :)

Brace yourself- more are coming. Lol

Are you rinsing your filter media with dechlorinated water?
Floss looks like cushion/pillow stuffing.
What size is your tank?
What are the tank's inhabitants?
What, and how often do you feed?
Is the cloudiness suspended particles or more of a whitish (not a real word, but hey!) haze?

I'm sure when I've properly woken up and had a nice strong coffee I'll be a little more use to you. Ok, not so sure, but hoping ;)

1:A: yes
2:A:yes
3:A:1 albino bichir (only going to get 8 inches) 1 leaf fish, 2 Bolivian rams.
4:A: feed them hikari frozen bloodworms 2x times
5:A:it's kinda a tanish/ whitish coloring

My tank fell under all of the pet peeves at one point ;-) I STILL like the blue gravel and finding Nemo characters, but am finding a joy in going all natural. I just added a background and black substrate, this week replacing all fake plants for real. Coming a long lol

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

Back
Top Bottom