When looking at other people's tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to agree with most of you
1. Coloured rocks... Why? Sand looks sooooo much better (or at least natural stone or white stone!)
2. Goldfish in small tanks (well any fish in a small tank). Who in the right mind made up the myth that they can live in those tiny plastic tanks (you know the ones with the goldfish pictures on them? But they look like something little kids put bugs in...)
2. People idea on betta fish. No. They ARE NOT some fish who should live in a bowl, and those stupid tanks with the plant on top.... No. Berta's can't live off roots. Idiots.
3. People not researching. Oh you want to put your cichlids with your guppies? I was selling some cichlids and some person was like I have a 20 gallon with guppies and wanted to add something else to make it look better! Bye guppies :(
4. People who don't cycle there tanks. Or believe letting it sit for 24 hours is "cycling it".
5. Low water levels. Nuff said ;)
6. Algae on the front glass. Sometimes I let the algae build up on my back wall and my rocks, to me it makes it look natural. And my fishes graze on it.

And one more, it has little to do with looking at people's tank, but still; uninformed employees. If you know nothing about fish.... Maybe you shouldn't work in a fish store (or at least not give ridiculous advice)!

And one more, it has little to do with looking at people's tank, but still; uninformed employees. If you know nothing about fish.... Maybe you shouldn't work in a fish store (or at least not give ridiculous advice)!

I couldn't agree more. Just this morning I overheard an employee at Pets At Home answering a question "How many peppered cories do you think I should get?" "Oh I wouldn't get more than one, these things grow huge and eventually will outgrow your tank!"
Seriously?

Or when I had my FW puffer. When I first got him I asked if my 30gallon empty tank would be good enough (turns out they can live happy in even smaller aquriums). The guy told me it would be best to put him with my cichlids in my 40 gallon long..... Uhm what?

I couldn't agree more. Just this morning I overheard an employee at Pets At Home answering a question "How many peppered cories do you think I should get?" "Oh I wouldn't get more than one, these things grow huge and eventually will outgrow your tank!"
Seriously?

3 inches is very big

I like things to look natural. I physically cringe when I see a some insanely unnatural gravel color covering the bottom of a tank, and those painfully obvious-that-they-are-plastic plants. To each their own, but for me it's the whole package (substrate, plants, inverts, rocks, driftwood, and fish) that make a tank really interesting.

I like things to look natural. I physically cringe when I see a some insanely unnatural gravel color covering the bottom of a tank, and those painfully obvious-that-they-are-plastic plants. To each their own, but for me it's the whole package (substrate, plants, inverts, rocks, driftwood, and fish) that make a tank really interesting.

Agreed. I hate clown puke gravel and all those day glow rocks. Don't even get me started on Spongebob...

Better betta care.

I love to look at other people's fish tanks. The great majority of them are awesome and so much better than mine, but once in a while, I see stuff that make me go, "Why??". Nothing big, just little pet peeves like:

1. A low water level for no reason, like 2 to 5 inches below the edge of the tank. I'm all like, "Why you no fill tank up all the way to the top???"

2. No background. My brain be like, "Why you no put background?! Why you like looking at filter and cords and ugly wall behind tank??"

3. One tetra. "Why you no give him buddies??"

Lol

What are your pet peeves about other people's tanks (or your own)?

I don't fill my tank to the top, but I have a good reason(y)
I have no background on any tank but one. (I did paint the room black!) and my fish are so lovely I don't see the wall!
I agree with number 3, shoal the shoalers!

I'm against massive goldfish in mini tanks with "he's ok he's been in there years"
That gets me.

Pet peeves on my systems, they are too few in number, I want MORE!
One is slightly overstocked, three are in the wrong place, lots are empty.

Now y'all are making me cringe about my themed tank(the American tank) red white and blue gravel with an army tank and jeep

Now y'all are making me cringe about my themed tank(the American tank) red white and blue gravel with an army tank and jeep

(My first tank had dark blue stones) shhhhhh!

My American tank had South American species only, I thought that was themed?
I have a crashed plane, it gets occasional use, sometimes it's my puffers hideaway after a major breakdown of his tank I switch it to a fake piece of live rock sculpture thing. Those are my choices for his houses. (The plane was a present) actually the fish quite enjoys it!

ALL OF MY HEATERS ARE WONKY TO HORIZONTAL, AAAAAARRRRGGGGH!
I'm doooooooomed!!!!

The crooked heaters I can't help. No sooner do I straighten them out, here comes someone (angelfish, african cichlid, dragon goby, depending on which tank I'm working in) to knock them right out of place again. So I reach back in, get's knocked again, repeat... I swear it's a game. They do it to drive me insane.

I see them hiding under a plant, wood or rock and smirking at me.

The crooked heaters I can't help. No sooner do I straighten them out, here comes someone (angelfish, african cichlid, dragon goby, depending on which tank I'm working in) to knock them right out of place again. So I reach back in, get's knocked again, repeat... I swear it's a game. They do it to drive me insane. I see them hiding under a plant, wood or rock and smirking at me.
dude my heater was straight... But than like.. Ummm... A meteor hit the side of my apartment bro... Knocked that fella all out of whack.. Yahhhhh I have no excuse...

I will say my pet peeve on tanks is, when people come over and stick their fingers in the water (my wife too) bugs the {mod edit because we are a family site} outta me. I got mad at my wife last night I was like ."dude no! You don't know what's on your hand nasty, I just changed the water its clean don't dirty it up again" haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom