20 Gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all, I am starting to get back into plants in my tank and was wondering what is the best way to introduce co2 into the tank? And how much do I use?

Tank is already established and heavily planted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank is established. Had some anubia in there but took it out due to what I think is black beard algae. Cleaned the Anubias and they are in a bucket right now. Just put some new plants in there two days ago.

I am having BBA issues in two of my 20 gallin tanks. How do I get rid of this stuff?

On my 20 gallon high I just took everything out of the tank and cleaned the BBA of of all of it. Soaking everything in bleach and water. Except for the plants I removed all of the affected Leaves and now the plants are in a bucket of water. I did the same thing for my 20 gallon long tank.

I am having BBA issues in two of my 20 gallin tanks. How do I get rid of this stuff?

On my 20 gallon high I just took everything out of the tank and cleaned the BBA of of all of it. Soaking everything in bleach and water. Except for the plants I removed all of the affected Leaves and now the plants are in a bucket of water. I did the same thing for my 20 gallon long tank.

Spot treat with excel or h2o2. Syringe it onto effected areas. However this will kill it but won't stop the cause. Cause is likely due to lack of co2 and a build up of organics.

Give your substrate/plants a good swish with your hand and try to remove as much debris as you can. Pressurised co2 is best to keep it away. However if you can't afford that I'd dose seachem excel or another co2 booster to recommended on the bottle and reduce your lighting intensity or photo period length.

Continue to spot treat with excel or h2o2 as much as you can. Make sure you are persistent as this stuff is hard to combat.

Thanks Bert. I do have a canister for co2 i just have to get it filled and set everything up. I have another regulator coming so I can do co2 on both tanks. In the mean time I was dosing excel until I took everything out. I'm going to wait until I hg have all spots off the glass and then reintroduce the plants into both tanks.

Will algaefix help keep the algae down?

Thanks Bert. I do have a canister for co2 i just have to get it filled and set everything up. I have another regulator coming so I can do co2 on both tanks. In the mean time I was dosing excel until I took everything out. I'm going to wait until I hg have all spots off the glass and then reintroduce the plants into both tanks.

Will algaefix help keep the algae down?

Steer clear of any algae removing chemicals. They are really toxic to plants etc. you can use it if you want but I don't like to use any chemicals in my tank apart from excel etc.

Frequent water changes, removal of debris, excel spot treating and shortening the photoperiod is the best way to beat BBA.

I used algae fix back when I was a beginner and it killed no algae and almost killed all my plants.

Ok I have two co2 tanks to get filled. One is a small paint ball size tank and the other one is a 5 lb tank. They have been sitting for a long time. Will they need to be recertified?

If the hydro test is past date They will not fill them.

They may be??find out when you go to fill??

I believe the tanks (at least aluminum ones) need a hydro test every five years of the "born on" date. You should be good until sometime next year. There is a two digit month value to the left of the symbol to the left of the two digit year. E.g. - MM@YY

My husband found one of my fiddler crabs downstairs in the hallway. I'm surprise he made it that far before he died.

Haha [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I actually almost died reading this! Brings a new meaning to "needing a lid" lol

Back
Top Bottom