30G Hex Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently cycling a 30 G Hex tank. The current lighting is a perfecto strip with one measly 14 w bulb. The dimensions across the tank are only about 16". What would be the most effective way to light this tank? Obviously hood space is at a premium.

I'd like to grow some grasses, banana lily and some other tall plants (not sure what yet). Will also have a few community tropical fish in this tank

What would be the best lighting option for this tank? I'm willing to do a retrofit but just don't know what to choose -compact pc, metal halides and how much?

Carolyn

IMHO the only way to light a hex tank like this is a metal halide pendant. Also take a minute and read my FAQ as traditional cycling is need not be necessary for a planted tank.

Well that dope grower special runs about $115 for a complete outfit and it's a CF bulb, so with that bulb design you are going to get a bunch of restrike and not all the light energy is going to make it into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom