5 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I finally got my licence so I made a trip to the LFS and picked up a standard 5 gal tank and a few rocks. I've been wanting to plant a 5 gallon for over half a year now and finally bit the bullet so here we go:
Tank specs: Hagen all-glass 16" x 8" x 10" aquarium
Lighting: I'm going to be building a canopy and installing my own lights. I have either 2, 3, or 4, 6500k CFL that i could put over the tank. (I would like opinions on how much light to use and for how long)
Co2: DIY co2, unless I'm not using my pressurized system on my 65 gal... so probably DIY
Substrate: Regular Flourite, not the best color but i have had great success with it in the past (and i plan on not being able to see it that much do to plants ;) )
Filtration: Aquaclear mini HOB set on its slowest flow possible, if that is still too much i will have to make something to slow it down.
Plants:
I want to be able to grow a carpet of HC
normal baby tears
Blyxa japonica
maybe dwarf hair grass

Live stock: Betta, RCS (hopefully I get a betta who won't hunt them down) and a nerite snail or 2.

Here are some pictures of some random hardware and my first attempt at an aquascape... criticism welcome. I also need advice on the lighting... i was thinking 2 bulbs for 2-3 hours, then 4 bulbs for 2-3 hours, then back down to 2 bulbs for 2-3 hours set on a timer.

Hopefully i will have water in it soon, I'm looking forward to this and will probably need quite a bit of help along the way :)

Attachments

• P3080145.jpg
    P3080145.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 60
  • P3080146.jpg
    P3080146.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 58
  • P3080148.jpg
    P3080148.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 54
  • P3080149.jpg
    P3080149.jpg