5g planted tank w/brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spm2600

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 5g tank with java fern, anubius nana, and 2 moss balls. 6 neon tetra and 4 ghost shrimp. Tank is about 5 months old, water is crystal clear. Past month and a half I've been cleaning brown algae of glass and plants. I'm starting to notice it all over now (gravel, small decorations, larger rocks, etc). If I were to replace live plants with fake, would this help? I'm vigilant about water and filter changes.

How long are you running your lights and what kind of lighting do you have?

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Light is on for about 10 hours a day, it's an LED that came with tank (TopFin 5g starter kit).

Tank is near a big window but is north facing so only gets indirect sunlight.

They are called diatoms and common in newer tanks (up to a year old ive heard). They can be caused by a number of things and from what I can gather online, no one has any real advice or solution to the problem. There are people who will say too much light, those who say not enough, those who say over-feeding, or not enough fertilizer. Its frustrating and obnoxious. Just keep cleaning it off and hope it eventually goes away. You can try messing with the amount of time the light is on. Lower it by an hour or so and see if it helps.

I'd reduce your photo-period from 10hrs down to 7hrs..Also are you tossing the filter cartridges? Should keep em until the begin to fall apart ,clean them by swishing them in water removed during a water changes...tons of beneficial bacteria colonize in the cartridges...

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

I reduced timer on light so it's only on for 4 hours total throughout the day. Any thoughts on more frequent water changes? Currently I do 50% once a week and a thorough vacuuming.

Back
Top Bottom