6700k vs. 10k

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHIFT_Unique

Aquarium Advice Activist
me and a fellow employee, are having a little arguement.

i say 10k is better because it emits more light than the 6700 full spectrum

which is better for a planted tank.

6700 or 10,000

I spent a lot of time looking for the bulb with the perfect color spectrum for plants and found that it made no difference.

But I have found that different bulbs can make the aquarium look a whole lot better. Use the bulb that makes the tank look the best.

For the purposes of your arguement, see if you can find the exact spectrum for each bulb, because there are multiple ways to end up with a bulb at 6700K (or any other K rating).

For the looks, go for what you think is best.
For the plants, it does not matter. Anything between 6000k and 12000k is good for plants. Makes no difference.

ok cool. he was saying that 6700 is optimal and optimal means that its the best

5500 is "supposed" to be optimal as it is supposed to be exact sunlight. That being said, I think the best lighting is the one that grows the plant the best for you. It has to look good to your eye. If it looks good and the plants grow, I don't care if it is 3500 K which is the spectrum of one of the lights I have and it grows plants just as well as my 6750.

The Kelvin Rating only tells you what the light looks like to the human eye and has little bearing on how good it is for plant growth. If you really want to compare bulbs you would need to get a copy of the Spectrum Output and compare the peaks in the areas that plants use for growth.

From personal experience, the Current USA SunPaq 6700k are very white clear light bulbs. I don't think I will ever buy another kind.

i have bulbs from 6700 to 18000 on planted aquariums and all plants do very very well. i have found that the lower the k rating the duller yellowish look u temd to get. 10000 id a very white clear light and my 18000 are almosta purplish colour. all do wonders for what your aquaium looks like. the 18000 k bulbs really make blues ome to life and the 10000 i have are awesome for reds. plants dont really care to much but the appearance is the key factor to your choice.

so full spectrum is full spectrum, regardless of the K rating.

the different k ratings are only for looks correct?

correct. the k rating just gives all different colours. the lower it is usually the yellower the light is. not always though. find a k rating that highlights the colours u want the spectrum should be on the case.

i have a actinic 420/430 that makes whites, blues, violet colors absolutely glow

SHIFT_Unique said:
i have a actinic 420/430 that makes whites, blues, violet colors absolutely glow

actinic's are not good for growing plants. their wavelengths are not in the correct range. ie not good in the blue/red area, they are more in the purple range.

Back
Top Bottom