Adding java moss to community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davep

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I am looking to add some java moss to my tank attaching it to some bog wood, i have all the requirements for attaching it to the wood bit just looking for some advise on how to make it grow plus look good.
It will be going into a 240 lt with 30w T8 daylight bulbs

Sounds like you'll be in the low light range. Java miss, java ferns, anubias, and crypts should all grow fine in your setup.

When you have to trim it later make sure to turn off power heads and filter or this stuff gets everywhere

Since it will be attached to bog wood is it or to remove from the tank to trim it?
It would only be out of the water for a minute or so

Under low light java moss will grow slowly. Higher light will make it grow faster but I would hardly call it a fast growing species. As far as trimming, play it by ear. You may find you don't need to "trim" but pull some out every once in a while. Best of luck.

Another moss to try that isn't as messy but is very pretty is subwassertang. Very easy to grow, and has the same requirements as java moss. I've removed all the java moss from my tanks and have gone with the subwassertang.

Back
Top Bottom