Adequate ligthing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NexVobis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Read about adequate lighting for tall tanks and I was wondering of what i have is adequate for the plants I have. I like the full and lush effect of Ludwigia and Water Wisteria so I have those planted in the background. Also im using Flourish Excel and TertraPlants' Florapride. Here's the lighting I have. 4'ft shoplight with 2- 34 watt bulbs (6500k) and a 120 volt ballast. Need advice would like to see my background plants thriving. Thank you.

A basic t8 shoplight like that will be in the low-ish light range. It should keep the plants alive and growing albeit slowly. If the shop light doesn't have a shiny reflector on it consider getting some mylar (i.e. survival blanket material/ birthday balloon material) and fastening it to the reflector part of the fixture. Every little bit helps.

Ah I see, thanks I'll try that. I'm using basic 4' shop light t12 bulbs. My Anubias and my swords seem to be loving the light, new leaves and roots already.

NexVobis said:
Ah I see, thanks I'll try that. I'm using basic 4' shop light t12 bulbs. My Anubias and my swords seem to be loving the light, new leaves and roots already.

Those plants will grow and grow under that simple light. You could add some crypts which will also do fine in low light. If you go to a site like AquariumPlants and click on the low light plant tab you'll get a great list of things that'll do great for you. I had 2 55s with those same kinds of shop lights for years and they were packed top to bottom with plants. It's a fine way to light a tank. I still have some of the plants from those systems.

If you want a spot or two of higher light plants you could always add a 20 watt daylight LED floodlight or two. They run about $25 on eBay. I grow high light plants in my 20 gallon with one. Still, you can grow a lot of stuff with the setup you have.

CorallineAlgae said:
Those plants will grow and grow under that simple light. You could add some crypts which will also do fine in low light. If you go to a site like AquariumPlants and click on the low light plant tab you'll get a great list of things that'll do great for you. I had 2 55s with those same kinds of shop lights for years and they were packed top to bottom with plants. It's a fine way to light a tank. I still have some of the plants from those systems.

If you want a spot or two of higher light plants you could always add a 20 watt daylight LED floodlight or two. They run about $25 on eBay. I grow high light plants in my 20 gallon with one. Still, you can grow a lot of stuff with the setup you have.

Ah thank you for the idea I will do that

So I thought my old fixture was messed up, turns out its just the light bulbs. Need to buy 4 white bulbs. I have two blues but read blues isn't good for plants. The white ones won't turn on I have to replace them, 55w, 10000k will those get them growing? 4 bulbs two switches. Each switch turns on 2 bulbs, back and front.

Attachments

• image-489315870.jpg
    image-489315870.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom