Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I currently have a Red Sea reactor 500 for diffusion. No bubbles leave the reactor. The co2 is mixed in the reactor chamber and powered out of the unit.
Im looking to go with an inline reactor for a cleaner look in the tank-(less"stuff" in the tank.
Which method is more efficient and should I use both by using a "Y" connector on the co2 line? Or is that overkill?
Then theres the Mist method--Where would that play in the scenerio?
Thank you

I would not bother with a Y connector. A good inline diffusor will also be 100% efficient.

Misting is not 100% efficient, but some people say that the CO2 collecting on the leaves really helps the plants grow faster. I have not tried misting and don't think I would like the look of the mist in the water.

I assume you're running some type of canister filter. Check the DIY section for some very easy to make in-line reactors.

neilanh said:
I assume you're running some type of canister filter. Check the DIY section for some very easy to make in-line reactors.

Sparky's Special Inline CO2 Reactor:

See the DIY board for more info.

P.S. I also recommend the Hydor Inline Heater to hook up on your canister filter and get the heater out of your tank.

reactor2.jpg
[/img]

While you can use a Y connector to combined CO2 production from two DIY CO2 bottles, you really can't use the same methode for splitting the CO2 output to several tanks and/or diffusion methods in the same tank. The problem is that the pressure won't be the same on all the lines and you'll end up with one getting practically all the CO2. The only way to split the CO2 output is to use a manifold.

Unless you have a really large tank where it's harder to distribute the CO2 evenly through the tank with a single input, there's no reason to use multiple diffusion units (methods). CO2 Mist is supposed to be one of the most efficient methods, but some people find that it can be a bit of an eye sore with all those extra bubbles floating around. An inline reactor while not quite as effective, is generally plenty effective for most people.

mist has worked better for me and I need less co2 when I do it.. so to see the mist I need to put on my glasses (okay 40 year old eyes, but still.. :)

51 years old and hoping to get the sparky clear tube reactor to see the bubbles!! :)

Back
Top Bottom