Advine for new plants (Sag/Val/Endo)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phlegethon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just planted several new plants in a brand new empty aquarium:
Corkscrew Val
Dwarf Sagittaria
Chain pygmy swords

I have plenty of light, 2.75 watts/gallon full spectrum. Added some Seachem Flourish, Sechem gravel inserts, and using Seachem Excel for CO2. The Swords look happy, but the Vals and Sags are looking rather ragged, with many brown and yellowing leaves. I've pruned away several of these, but with so many a lot remain. A few nice green leaves are still present. I removed the plastic pots and planting medium the Sags came in (the Vals were unpotted).

They have only been planted a few days ago, does anyone have any specific advice/experience with getting these plants established and healthy?

Appreciated...

Just planted several new plants in a brand new empty aquarium:

Add water? But on a serious note.... Did you get these plants from the LFS or mail order?

I got the plants online. I don't know much about aquatic plants, but they seemed to be in fair condition on arrival, although they were very cold (not freezing), I'm sure that wasn't good for them. They came from liveaquaria.com.

I had problems with corkscrew vals, too. I've read they're so easy to grow but they sure died off quick in my tank. They seemed healthy when I got them but went south almost immediately.

I think I'm gonna try a different variety.

Well, I replanted the vals and sags after trimming away the dead leaves. I noticed while doing so that I had them planted too deep, the gravel was covering the crowns. Now the crowns show a little.

It's hard to find good info for really basic stuff like planting techniques and what to do with the weird green wool substance these come planted in...

Vals and Sags don't travel well. If the leaves get folded they will die at that point. Give them time.

Most Vals prefer harder water too, so I've heard. I didn't fare to well with my first try, but I have very soft well water. I'll try again on my next tank. HTH

here's a great site for ya: http://paul.aaquaria.com/home/Home.htm click the "planting" link on the left and proceed from there. he has excellent tips for how to handle the plants and prepare them before planting. i bought quite a few plants on line from www.aquariumplant.com and using the methods from the above site, have had great success. also, if you ever order plants from the site i did, i would call to inquire abt the quality of the plants before ordering... sometimes they aren't so good but if you wait till they get a new shipment in you'll get very nice plants with good healthy roots (at least i did)!

:D

Back
Top Bottom