algea in shrimp tank. LFS has no info for me. what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I cant identify the type of algae this is. Can anybody help? My LFS, which is major awesome....cant identify it either.... really want to cure it. 10 gallon, Fluval shrimp substrate (cant remember the name right now) Planted Plus LED light, Water parameters are good. No nitrate. No ammonia....yadayadayada. Two tiger shrimp, about 25 Yellow racers, One tiny pleco.....

I have been leaving the tank dark 6 days a week because of this algea, my work days can run long so one day a week the light is on 8 to 10 hours. I does with Flourish Iron and Comprehensive Supplement twice a week.

Its getting so bad its killing my Fissedens moss, my blood stargrass, and my driftwood. Its also covering my heater! I've had to pull the rest of my plants and décor (lace rock) out. None of my other three tanks is getting this and they are all treated the same.....

Im stumped.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 69
There is no co2 in this tank, I treat with excel when I can afford to, but haven't done it in awhile, the pleco does not touch it. And I have spent countless hours pulling it out by hand, every time I think I got it all, it comes back.....A timer is on my list, but will only come after the problem is solved.

Thanks coryluv! That first link was awesome! I now have a new reason to get
Amano Shrimp for my shrimp tank!

You are welcome. I've only heard good things about Amano shrimp. Yeah, James is a good guide. I understand about Excel being expensive. I price shop, for sure. A timer would help. Sometimes having an hour's interruption of the light mid day helps slow down algae, too. Your current lighting period situation may be making things worse. Have you thought about trying a 3 day blackout? Again, good luck.

Have you looked into metricide 14 it's like genetic excell

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That appears to be Rhizoclonium algae. If it's soft and slimy that's it. It can be from not enough water flow in the tank, not enough WC's, and low CO2. How long do you run lights daily? What is your water change schedule and how much do you change out weekly? Do you dose any ferts? Does the water in the tank have any current or is it very still? Rhizoclonium can be spot treated with a liquid carbon and hydrogen peroxide 3% but in a shrimp you have to be very careful. I'd remove as much as you can by hand, increase current using a nano powerhead, and dose liquid carbon daily. You can get a gallon of Metricide 14 on line for $20. It's twice the strength of Excel so you only use 1/2 the amount. You can also buy quart size I think but don't know the price. Regardless it is so much cheaper than the name brand stuff you can afford to use it daily. Plus the added bonus of only needing 1/2 the amount you normally have to dose.

Back
Top Bottom