amazon plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kohan Bros.

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 75 tank up and i was wondering what amazon plants i could keep. for substrate i have eco complete plant. also what co2 options do i have besides a cyclinder.

thaks

You need low light and make sure your substrate is relatively deep because swords develop very large root systems. You don't need to add CO2 for swords. The fertilizer substrate would be enough.

Swords aren't a low light plant. 2wpg is my minimum recommendation for general sword success. CO2 is going to be helpful, but on a tank that size, pressurized (a cylinder) is really the only viable option. DIY is possible, but you'd have so many gallons of DIY mixture going that you'd start pulling your hair out. Plus it'd be inconsistent production.

Eco is a good sword substrate..but make sure you have at least 2.5" average depth because they do indeed put out a massive root network. Even with eco complete, some form of root fertilization (like root tabs) will benefit them greatly because they are such heavy root feeders.

Well my sword plant had less than 2 wpg and it grew like a weed putting out on average one leaf a day! And it started putting out baby swords too. No fertilizer or added CO2. Maybe just my luck?

No, not just your luck. I've had a sword in 1 WPG and it was fine. Tossed it out because it took up too much space. And I also had baby swords.
Check out my gallery, look at my tanks and tell me you NEED 2 WPG minimum for a planted tank. I have less then 1WPG on both of my tanks.
JMO

1wpg and success with swords is not the norm, so you should both consider yourselves lucky, or skilled ;)

I second Malkore's recommendation of using root tabs for swords, even with a nutrient-rich substrate like Eco-Complete. After putting root tabs down for my sword plant, I noticed a marked increase in growth rate over the next month - sort of like I'd given the thing steroids. I don't think I've ever seen an aquarium plant with a bigger root system. Simply massive. It scares me to think how far it might have grown since I last looked at it.

In my experience swords do better with more light (2 wpg and up), deep soil and root ferts. but that's just my experience.

I just stuck the sowrd in gravel when it was around 4-5 inchs tall and now (about 7-8 months later) I had to get rid of it because it was so big. At least I got $25 for it at my lfs. It probably would of grown better if i left it alone because i use to take everything out of my tank when I cleaned it, so i'd be pulling it out every weekend. But at least it ended up with around 50 leaves all over 11 inch tall in a ten gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom