Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Amazon Sword Caused Algae Bloom?

I added an amazon sword plant into my already well planted tank.

The plant had long tall stems over 12" long with big leaves. I read that these are the "grown out of water" leaves and they have to die and be replaced by different leaves. - that process is starting.

Since the substrate is just sand, I put about a cup of flourite black sand in the spot where the amazon sword is going. I didn't wash the sand beforehand, and this made the water cloudy for 24 hours... that went away and all was fine.

I also added some sword chain plants which are heavily melting, but too many little blades of grass to remove.

Now I have an algae bloom. Could this be from the rotting amazon sword leaves and sword chain leaves? Or maybe from the flourite adding nutrients?

I would like to know the root cause of the algae bloom. I under-filter according to AqAdvisor, but that has been fine until now, and there is no ammonia or nitrite. I also don't think I over-feed.

I used aquarium coop fertilizer weekly until this problem started.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210113_111915.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	319300  

Tags
algae, bloom, amazon, amazon sword, algae bloom, sword

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com